|Produced by||Chozha Ponnurangam|
Murthy Ramesh (dialogues)
|Music by||Bala Bharathi|
Thalaivasal is a 1992 Tamil drama film directed by Selva. The film features an ensemble cast consisting of S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Anand, Sivaranjani, Bhanu Prakash, Nassar, Napoleon and Thalaivasal Vijay in lead roles. The film, produced by Chozha Ponnurangam, had musical score by Bala Bharathi and was released on 3 September 1992.
Nachiappan College is considered to be one of the worst colleges of Chennai; everyday violence erupts between two final-year groups. The students are influenced by the local bigwig Beeda Settu (Nassar), who sells ganja to the students and basically rules the college from outside. The first group is led by Sudhakar (Anand) whereas the other one is led by Kalaiarasan (Bhanu Prakash). The college management and the police get tired of that situation. They decide that they need to change the principal. The vice-president, Chandran, dies to sit in that post but the college management asks the successful Shanmugasundaram (S. P. Balasubrahmanyam) to take the post. His daughter Shobana will study in the same college. The rest of the story is how Shanmugasundaram succeeds in his mission.
- S. P. Balasubrahmanyam as Shanmugasundaram
- Anand as Sudhakar
- Sivaranjani as Shobana
- Bhanu Prakash as Kalaiarasan
- Nassar as Beeda Settu
- Napoleon as Chandran
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Babu
- S.N. Vasanth as Gupta
- Chitti as ACP Devaraj
- Sabitha Anand as Saradha
- Vaishnavi as Anandhi
- Vichithra as 'Madippu' Hamsa
- C.N.A. Parimal
- Sampath Kumar
- Vincent Roy as Vedachalam
- Radha Bhai
- Anand Krishnamoorthi (credited as Master Anand) as Siddharth
- Mahanadhi Shobana (credited as Baby Shobana) as Meena
|Soundtrack album by Bala Bharathi|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||'Athi Kaalai Kaatre Nillu'||S. Janaki||4:35|
|2||'Mayajala Ulagam'||Bala Bharathi||3:42|
|3||'Naalaikum Naam'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Mano||4:04|
|4||'Unnai Thottu'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, K. S. Chithra||4:29|
|6||'Vaasal Idhu Vaasal'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||3:46|
|7||'Vaazhkai Embadhu'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:41|
The success of the serial 'Neela Maala' facilitated Chozha Creations’ re-entry into film world and they gave the serial director Selva the opportunity to direct Thalaivasal. Except for playback singer S. P. Balasubrahmanyam and Nassar, most of the cast was new like Bhanu Prakash and Thalaivasal Vijay. It is a story revolving around college life which forms the foundation stone for the future of any individual.
The film completed a 100-day run at the box-office.
- "Thalai Vaasal (1992) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "filmography of nangal". cinesouth.com. Archived from the original on 15 August 2007. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Thalai Vaasal Songs". raaga.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Director Selva — Behindwoods.com". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- Malini Mannath (1993-01-01). "Run-of-the-mill fare". The Indian Express: 7. Retrieved 2014-04-09.