|Directed by||Raj N. Sippy|
|Produced by||Sanjay Ray
|Written by||Vinay Shukla|
|Based on||Mayadari Krishnudu (1980)|
|Music by||Bappi Lahri|
|Edited by||Ashok Honda|
Shiva Arts International
Thanedaar (English: Police Officer) is a 1990 Hindi Action film produced by Sanjay Ray, Sudhir Roy on Shiva Arts International banner and directed by Raj N. Sippy. Starring Sanjay Dutt, Madhuri Dixit, Jeetendra, Jaya Pradha, in lead roles and music composed by Bappi Lahri. The film is perhaps most remembered for the hit song Tamma Tamma Loge and its quirky dancing moves. It was the first pairing of Dutt and Dixit who went on to star in 7 films together including big box office blockbusters Saajan (1991) and Khalnayak (1993). Thanedaar was the fourth highest-grossing film of 1990 a sequel titled Thanedaar Returns is under production. The film is a remake of Telugu Movie Mayadari Krishnudu (1980).
Police Inspector Jagdish Chandar (Dalip Tahil) has been investigating about a gangster Thakur Azghar Singh (Kiran Kumar), and eventually he has been murdered by two foreigners, Lawrence (Goga Kapoor) and Peter (Tej Sapru) who were hired by Azghar. Jagdish's two young sons Avinash and Brijesh are now left behind alone to fend for themselves, where Brijesh kills the assailant and is taken away by Peter and Lawrence, whereas the other son Avinash is adopted by the Police Commissioner and grows up (Jeetendra) to be a police inspector like his father. Brijesh (Sanjay Dutt) has just been released from the jail, and he attempts to rob a jewellery store after which he elopes with his girlfriend, Chanda (Madhuri Dixit) to the same village where his father lived. While on his way to the village a fight takes place between the two brothers, not knowing about the relation with each other. One day in the village he gets to identify about Avinash and starts dominating over the villagers and takes bribe from Azghar Singh. Matter gets complicated when Avinash's wife, Sudha (Jayapradha) comes out in search of her husband only to see that Chanda is being molested by Azghar and his men, forcing Brijesh to take a stand. Will Azghar be successful in throwing Brijesh out of the village?
- Sanjay Dutt as Brijesh Chandar (Birju)
- Madhuri Dixit as Chanda
- Jeetendra as Avinash Chandar
- Jaya Prada as Sudha Chandar
- Kiran Kumar as Thakur Azghar Singh
- Goga Kapoor as Lawrence
- Tej Sapru as Peter
- Mahesh Anand as Mangal
- Satish Shah as Rangeele
- Paintal as Hawaldar Dukhiram
- Sharat Saxena as Sunny
- Harish Patel as Hawaldar Bechare
- Mansour as Master Ladoo (Cameo appearance)
- Viju Khote as Hawaldar Khusiram
- Dalip Tahil as Jagdish Chandar (Cameo appearance)
- Sudha Chandran as Mrs. J. Chandar (Cameo appearance)
Thanedaar was well received by a number of critics. The film scored well at the box office grossing 10.25 crore nett and was declared a superhit. It was also the fourth highest-grossing film of the year 1990.
|1.||Tamma Tamma Loge||Anuradha Paudwal, Bappi Lahiri||Indeewar|
|2.||Jab Se Hui Hain Shaadi||Amit Kumar||Sameer & Raj Sippy|
|3.||Zulmi Sayyan Thanedaar||Asha Bhosle||Sameer|
|4.||Aur Bhala Mein Kiya Mangu Rab Se||Lata Mangeshkar, Pankaj Udhas||Anjaan|
|5.||Pehli Pehli Baar Aisa Thanedaar Aaya||Alka Yagnik, Amit Kumar||Indeewar|
|6.||Kamal Ho Gaya||Asha Bhosle||Sameer|
|7.||Jeena Hai To Hans Ke Jiyo||Amit Kumar, Asha Bhosle, Reema Lahiri||Anjaan|
Tamma Tamma Loge
The song became an instant chartbuster due to its quirky dance moves and lyrics. It is well known that Dutt had great difficulty performing the dance moves especially the famous scene with the chairs, and though he spent almost a month training, still could not complete it then it is completed by Javed Jaffery. In an interview, choreographer Saroj Khan talked about the shooting the song, which took 48 takes to get okayed.
The tune was copied from Mory Kanté's song Tama. There were also plans to remix the song by director duo Abbas Mustan for their film Players but later these plans were scrapped due to there not being enough time before the release of the film. The song was reprised for the 2017 film Badrinath Ki Dulhania by Tanishk Bagchi.
The sequel to Thanedaar will be the Hindi remake of Tamil film Saamy (2003). It is currently in production, shooting will begin at the end of August and is likely to be released in mid 2013. At one point the film was planned for a Diwali 2012 release but plans for the sequel have almost been scrapped due to their being some legal issues, to the which extent forced Dutt to pay back his signing amount.
The sequel titled Policegiri, was directed by KS Ravikumar and stars Dutt along with new additions to the cast including Prachi Desai who plays his love interest, Om Puri and Prakash Raj as the villain.
- "Thanedar Returns Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Madhuri Dixit's Top 25 Dance Numbers". rediff.com. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Box Office 1990". boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "'Tamma tamma loge' got okayed in the 48th take: Saroj Khan". Times Of India. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Players drops the idea for 'Jumma Chumma' or 'Tamma Tamma'". Bollywood Hungama. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Sanjay Dutt returns signing amount". The Times of India. 18 Jan 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Prachi Desai to romance Sanjay Dutt in Saamy remake". Hindustan Times. 11 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Sanjay Dutt to play cop in Thanedar Returns". Bollywood Hungama. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Thanedaar Returns' script changed for Prachi Desai". Hindustan Times. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.