Thanet District Council
Thanet District Council
|Founded||1 April 1974|
Jason Savage, Conservative
Bob Bayford, Conservative
|2 May 2019|
Thanet District Council is the local government body for the Thanet district. Its administrative centre is Margate. It is one of the district councils in Kent. On a national level, Thanet forms part of two parliamentary constituencies at Westminster and is represented in Parliament by three MPs.
The district was formed by the merger of:
- Municipal Borough of Margate
- Municipal Borough of Ramsgate
- Broadstairs and St Peter's Urban District
- Part of Eastry Rural District.
Thanet district council is responsible for providing clear leadership to the community and continuously to improve the delivery of local services.[dubious ] These services include: leisure, environmental health, housing — including the provision of social housing and housing benefit and rubbish collection. (First tier authorities have no responsibility for highways and under statute this function cannot be passed between different levels of local government.) Kent County Council is responsible for more strategic services such as education, libraries, main roads, social services, trading standards and transport.
The council is a cabinet-style council with a leader and the cabinet itself, which is formed by the majority party in the district. Decisions on the council's services are made by the executive (or cabinet) which comprises five councillors. Each member of the cabinet holds a separate portfolio. The leader and cabinet are responsible for policies, plans and strategies, and for recommending them to the overall council, which is convened as a whole, at regular council meetings. The full council consists of 56 councillors.
The cabinet is held to account by the remainder of the councillors acting as overview and scrutiny who verify that decisions are appropriate and can prevent a decision taking immediate effect. The council is chaired by Cllr David Saunders and led by Cllr Bob Bayford.
Mayors are ceremonial figures whose only real power is to chair sessions of their councils.
- Mayor of Margate: Councillor Julie Dellar
- Mayor of Ramsgate: Councillor Trevor Shonk
- Mayor of Broadstairs: Councillor Paul Moore
Councillors are responsible for the appointment and oversight of officers, who are delegated to perform most tasks. The chief executive officer, has overall responsibility for council employees and operates in conjunction with department heads.
- Chief executive officer: Madeline Homer
- Director of operations: Gavin Waite
The civil parishes located in the district are:
Elections are held every four years. The last council election took place on 7 May 2015, which saw UKIP take majority control of the council with 33 seats. The Conservative Party won 18 seats, the Labour Party won four seats, and one independent was elected. By-elections and defections have since reduced UKIP to a minority of seats. UKIP lost the leadership of the council to the Conservatives in March 2018. The election of May 2019 led to a Conservative minority administration, with UKIP completely wiped out.
The district is divided into 23 electoral wards, mainly located in the coastal resorts of Margate, Cliftonville, Broadstairs and Ramsgate.
History of control
|1987||No overall control|
|2011||No overall control|
|2017||No overall control|
- Council, Thanet District (4 May 2019). "Election Results by Party, 2 May 2019". democracy.thanet.gov.uk.
- "Thanet District Council". www.thanet.gov.uk.
- A-Z of Thanet District Council services
- "Your Councillors - Thanet". Thanet District Council. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Council, Thanet District (4 March 2018). "Chairman of Council". democracy.thanet.gov.uk.
- "Ukip LOSES control of Thanet council".
- "The Thanet District Councillors". thanet.gov.uk.
- "The Current Mayor, Cllr Julie Dellar - The Mayor and Charter Trustees of Margate, Thanet". www.margate.org.uk. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "'Out and about' Ramsgate mayor voted in for fourth term". The Isle Of Thanet News. 3 May 2018. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Town Mayor - Broadstairs & St Peter's Town Council". www.broadstairs.gov.uk. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Councillor wants colleagues to die". Kent Online. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Election 2015: UKIP takes control of its first council, in Thanet". BBC News. 9 May 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Your Councillors". democracy.thanet.gov.uk. 27 June 2018. Retrieved 27 June 2018.