Thanga Magan (2015 film)
|Produced by||G. N. Anbu Chezhiyan|
Samantha Ruth Prabhu
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
|Edited by||M. V. Rajesh Kumar|
|Distributed by||Sri Green Productions|
|18 December 2015|
Thanga Magan (English: Golden Son) is a 2015 Indian family drama film written and directed by Velraj. Dhanush produced and stars in the film alongside Samantha Ruth Prabhu and Amy Jackson. The film entered production in March 2015 and was released on 18 December 2015. The film released to mixed reviews but had a decent run at the box office.
This section's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The film opens with Tamizh (Dhanush), his wife Yamuna (Samantha Ruth Prabhu), and mother (Raadhika) moving into a new home, which is not very comfortable. Tamizh leaves them with his friend Kumaran (Sathish) after settling them in the new house in search of a job. All the companies are pleased with his resume but are hesitant to give him a job due to the occurrences in his past job. Finally, out of need, Tamizh becomes a worker in a roadside biriyani shop. He comes home for the night after he gets drunk. He narrates the reason for him becoming like this through a series of flashbacks.
During his college days, Tamizh (a second year B. Com student), Kumaran, and Tamizh's cousin Aravind (Adith Arun) were inseparable friends. One day, Tamizh's mother tells him to go to the temple for a pooja. There he meets Hema (Amy Jackson), an architecture student, and immediately falls in love with her. He then follows her around, wins her heart, and they both fall in love. For their first anniversary, Tamizh, Hema, Kumaran, and Hema's friend Revathi go to Darjeeling. Tamizh was doing all this without the knowledge of his father Vijayraghavan (K. S. Ravikumar) who is a Tax Assistant in the Income Tax Department and Aravind, for which he feels guilty. He decides he will tell them both the truth once he goes back to Chennai. But in Darjeeling, he is faced by Aravind, who followed him to see what he was up to and make him feel guilty. Aravind says he never wants to see Tamizh again and storms off. Then they both go to the rooms and Hema gives Tamizh a plan for their future house. Tamizh sees there is no room for his parents in their new house. He asks Hema about this, and she says they will not be staying with them. This infuriates Tamizh and they both fight, eventually leading to their breakup.
They both move on with their own lives. Tamizh joins the same income tax office as Vijayraghavan as a Tax Assistant, and Hema gets married to Aravind. Tamizh also accepts to get married and marries Yamuna. He is deeply in love with her and forgets Hema, leaving her to be Aravind's wife. One day, Vijayraghavan returns home tense and shouts at his wife. The next morning, when Yamuna opens the bathroom door, it is found that Vijayraghavan has hung himself. Everybody says he stole a file from his office and calls him a thief. Tamizh is also suspended without pay and is asked to vacate their house by the landlord. First, they go to Yamuna's place. But Yamuna's parents treat Tamizh poorly, so they go to a new home.
In the present, Tamizh tries to gather information regarding Vijayraghavan in vain. At last, a close friend of Vijayraghavan sees Tamizh and says Vijayraghavan once mentioned a bag of money. So Tamizh goes to see his boss Assistant Commissioner Prakash Kumar (Jayaprakash), who tells him he gave Vijayraghavan 5 crore rupees to safeguard as there was a raid in his house and that when asked to return it he said he forgot where he kept them. Prakash thinks he stole the money, takes an important file, and threatens Vijayraghavan to return the money to get the file. Tamizh remembers Vijayraghavan once arguing with Aravind, so he goes to see him about the money. Aravind denies any such thing. Later, Hema confronts Aravind about the money and in a drunk state, he tells her he took the money for his business and was about to return it once he was settled, but Vijayraghavan had committed suicide before that. Hema meets Yamuna in the temple and tells her the truth behind the money. Tamizh visits Aravind's house when he is out and searches his house, where he finds agreement papers for a certain builder. Tamizh goes to the builder which was under construction as one of Aravind's men, collects details about the place, date, and time of the deal closure, and convinces the dealer this year to be he has changed the time to 9:00 instead of 7:00. At 7:00, Tamizh goes to the place of making the deal where Aravind arrives with one crore of the money. Tamizh takes the money with him.
That night some people come to Tamizh's house to steal the money, but Tamizh wards them off. The next day, Tamizh gets informed by an anonymous caller about an income tax raid at his house. Tamizh gives the money to Kumaran to safeguard it, who is intercepted by Aravind and takes back the money. Tamizh finds out the call list of Aravind and finds a number frequently called by Aravind. He finds the address of the owner and finds that he has the other 4 crores to turn it into white. He beats him up and takes the money back. Aravind finds out about this and tries to safeguard the rest, becoming a mental patient in the process. He finally gives the money back to Tamizh, asking for his forgiveness. Tamizh goes to Prakash and says he got the money and will give it to him to get his job and the file back. But Prakash reveals he sold the file for 50 crores and that Tamizh should take the 5 crores and close this issue. But Tamizh doesn't want it and tells him to accept his mistake. Prakash sends some goons to finish Tamizh off when he was coming with a pregnant Yamuna, but he fights back. He later calls Prakash and tells him to see the news where his assistant (M. S. Bhaskar) is revealing his corrupt activities. Tamizh then tells him that he gave his assistant the 5 crores to confess. Prakash is arrested, and Yamuna gives birth to a baby boy. The film ends with a happy Tamizh leaving for a job.
- Dhanush as Thamizh Vijayraghavan
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu as Yamuna Thamizh, Thamizh's wife.
- Amy Jackson as Hema D'Souza, Tamizh's first girlfriend and Arvinth's wife.
- K. S. Ravikumar as Vijayraghavan, Thamizh's father
- Raadhika as Thamizh's mother
- Adith Arun as Arvinth, Thamizh's cousin
- Sathish as Kumaran, Thamizh's friend
- Jayaprakash as Prakash Kumar, Thamizh's boss
- M. S. Bhaskar as Prakash's assistant
- Seetha as Arvinth's mother
- Shan as Varun
- Uday Mahesh as Jen Builders Agent
- Poorthi Pravin as Revathi, Hema's friend
- Velraj as Ramalingam (cameo appearance)
Following the success of Velaiilla Pattadhari (2014), Dhanush and Velraj announced that they would work together for another project during October 2014, and stated the film would not be a sequel to their previous film. In December 2014, actress Amy Jackson revealed via Twitter that she had been signed on to feature in the film. During the same month, Prabhu also joined the team, which reprised several crew members from the director's previous venture. Sathish was selected to play a supporting role, while K. S. Ravikumar and Raadhika were signed on to play Dhanush's parents in the film.
The team began production in March 2015 without a title, and the project remained untitled until October 2015, a month before the film's release. It developed under the working title of VIP 2, and the team denied reports of it being titled Tea Kadai Raja and Thamizh Magan, before settling on Thanga Magan. The first schedule involved Dhanush and Amy Jackson, with the former shaving his beard to appear as a teenager in the portions. Scenes involving Samantha portraying Dhanush's wife were shot in May 2015, with the team recreating the effect of rainy backdrop in a studio in Chennai. Amy Jackson finished work in the film in June 2015, after filming sequences alongside the other two lead actors. The film completed its final schedule in July 2015 by canning a fight scene and montage shots, without the presence of Velraj, who had to prioritise his work as a cinematographer for another film, Paayum Puli. The director consequently denied reports that he had a fall out with the rest of the team.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||26 November 2015|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Anirudh Ravichander chronology|
The soundtrack of the movie was composed by Anirudh Ravichander and was released on 27 November 2015. The Telugu version was released on 11 December 2015. This is the latest collaboration of Dhanush and Anirudh
|1.||"Oh Oh"||Dhanush||Dhanush & Nikhita Gandhi||4:36|
|2.||"Enna Solla"||Dhanush||Shweta Mohan||3:36|
|3.||"Tak Bak"||Dhanush||Anirudh Ravichander||2:34|
|4.||"Jodi Nilave"||Dhanush||Dhanush & Shweta Mohan||2:58|
- Nava Manmadhudu (Telugu version)
|1.||"Manasa Mansa"||Rakendu Mouli||Dhanush & Sunitha Sarathy||4:36|
|3.||"Nee Takari Look Ke"||Rakendu Mouli||Anirudh Ravichander||2:34|
|4.||"Odini Lali"||Vennelakanti||Dhanush & Shweta Mohan||2:58|
Thanga Magan's Tamil Nadu theatrical rights were sold to Sri Green Productions. The film was released on 18 December 2015. The film was dubbed and released in Telugu as Nava Manmadhudu. The satellite rights of Thanga Magan were sold to Sun TV.
The film was dubbed into Telugu as Nava Manmadhudu (Telugu: నవ మన్మధుడు) (New Lover).
DNA India rated the film 3 stars and said, "Watch the movie for the fine performances by the lead actors." Filmibeat rated the film 3.0/5 and said, "Thanga Magan, though not as impressive as Velaiyilla Pattathari, manages to make you laugh and weep. It also most definitely, entertains you." OnlyKollywood rated Thanga Magan 2.75 out of 5 and added, "Thanga Magan offers rollicking fun in its simplistic, chocolate-box romance portions though its modus operandi appears plain and unequivocal in the way the familial relations are staged, especially in the second half." Behindwoods rated the film 2.5 out of 5 and wrote, "On the whole, Thanga Magan does justice to its cause, which is to entertain, but doesn't keep the audience engrossed." Tamilglitz rated the film 2.5 out of 5 and called it "a simple movie which is worth [watching]".
- "Dhanush's 'Thanga Magan' sold?" Sify.com. 19 October 2015.
- The VIP combo – Dhanush and Velraj, is back for another blockbuster?. Behindwoods.com (15 October 2014). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- Dhanush, Amy Jackson to team up. The Hindu (3 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- Samantha joins Dhanush's VIP – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (27 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- KS Ravikumar to play Dhanush’s dad? – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (22 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- Dhanush joins the sets of Samantha's film – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (21 March 2015). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- Dhanush -Velraj's next to be titled 'Tea Kadai Raja'. Uncutindia.com (4 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- Dhanush to play a teenager in Velraj Movie. – Southie. Southie.in. Retrieved on 27 November 2015.
- Dhanush's next film VIP 2 is getting canned with a few action sequences. Behindwoods.com (23 May 2015). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- Amy Jackson to wrap up Dhanush's VIP 2 soon. Behindwoods.com (17 June 2015). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- I have not walked out of Dhanush’s film: Velraj – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (23 July 2015). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- "Dhanush's 'Thanga Magan' sold?" Sify.com. 19 October 2015.
- TNP =TelanganaNewsPaper (13 November 2015). "Nava Manmadhudu 2015 Movie Details".
- "'Thanga Magan' review: The fine performances by Dhanush, Samantha and Amy Jackson make it a must-watch". DNA India. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Thanga Magan Movie Review And Rating: Dhanush Glitters Throughout!". Filmibeat. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Thanga-Magan-Review". OnlyKollywood. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Thanga Magan Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Bala, Rahul (2015-12-18). "Thanga Magan (Thangamagan) Movie Review | Dhanush - TamilGlitz". Tamilglitz.in. Retrieved 2016-01-11.