Thangal Kunju Musaliar College of Engineering
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Pre-eminence in Engineering and Technology with a universal perspective.|
Aided by the World Bank under TEQIP Programme Govt. of India
|Principal||Dr. S. Ayoob|
|Location||Kollam, Kerala, India
|Affiliations||University of Kerala|
Thangal Kunju Musaliar College of Engineering (TKMCE), founded in 1958, was the first government aided engineering institution in the private sector in the Indian state of Kerala. The college is located at Karikode, 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) from the city of Kollam in southern Kerala. The foundation stone was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the erstwhile President of India on 3 February 1956.
The college is affiliated with the University of Kerala. Admission to the college is based on the Kerala Engineering Agricultural Medical (KEAM) conducted by the Commissioner of Entrance Examinations, Kerala. The college is preferred by most students who complete this examination. TKM is ranked among 150 top engineering institute in the country by MHRD, in NATIONAL INSTITUTIONAL RANKING FRAMEWORK 2017, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
- 1 Institution
- 2 Location
- 3 Admission
- 4 Courses offered
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Alumni association
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The college was founded by the TKM Educational Trust, an organization established by Thangal Kunju Musaliar. The college's foundation stone was laid in 1956 by Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India. The college was inaugurated by Prof. Humayun Kabir, the Cabinet Minister for Scientific and Cultural Affairs, on 3 July 1958. The main building is designed in the grand medieval Mughal architectural style with courtyards, around which are spread the departmental buildings, library block, laboratories, workshops and hostels.
The college started with 120 students and a faculty of six, offering courses in mechanical engineering, civil engineering and electrical engineering. The college now has more than 3000 students with about 250 faculty, supported by 136 non-teaching staff. The college has laboratories and computer facilities.
The institute offers B.Tech programs in eight branches of engineering, five M.Tech programs and a Computer Applications (MCA) Program. The programs are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi.
Dr. S.Ayoob is the current principal of the college.
The college is located at Karicode, a suburb town of the coastal city of Kollam on the Kollam-Schencottah NH-208 road. There is a railway station at Karicode called Kilikollur railway station. Direct trains connect Kollam Junction Railway station to all important cities of the country. The college is six kilometres away from Kollam city centre (Chinnakada).
- Admission to the college is based on the competitive Entrance Examination KEAM administered by the Government of Kerala, India. Some seats are reserved for students from Arunachal Pradesh, Andaman and Lakshadweep.
- Postgraduate level
- M.Tech.Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology, IITs.
- MCA Kerala MCA Entrance Examination, conducted by the Office of the Commissioner of Entrance Exams run by the Government of Kerala.
- MBA Management Aptitude Test (MAT) conducted by the All India Management Association and CMAT conducted by AICTE.
Undergraduate level courses
Full-time Courses(B.Tech & B.Arch.)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Architecture (B.Arch, 5 years duration)
Post graduate level courses
- Master of Computer Applications
- Industrial Refrigeration and Cryogenic Engineering(M.Tech.)
- Structural Engineering and Construction Management(M.Tech.)
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Communication Systems
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Industrial Instrumentation and Control
- Career Guidance and Placement Unit (CGPU)
- Football cum Cricket Ground
- Indoor Badminton Court
- Basketball, Tennis and Volleyball court
- Stationery shop
- Hostels for all students
- International students hostel
- Central Library
The college has a central library with over 70,350 books, around 100 technical journals, and periodicals. The library is open on all working days and Saturdays. The library system is computerized, and has also Internet facility. Apart from the central library, each department has its own library with specialized collections. One of earliest e-campuses in India, the entire campus including 14 hostels for boys and girls are linked into a WLAN.
The Alumni Association was formed in 1963. Chapters of the association are in several countries. TAGA was formed on 8 September 2004 as an internet based initiative to link all the alumni. TKMCE Alumni UAE is one of the alumni association based in UAE which was founded in 1987 as an auxiliary unit of TKM Alumni Association Kollam. It has more than 1000 members.
- Shibu Baby John
- T. K. Alex
- Rajan Pillai
- V. K. Adarsh
- M. Jayachandran
- S. Somnath, Director, LPSC, ISRO
- College of Engineering Karunagappally
- NSS College of Engineering
- Mar Athanasius College of Engineering
- Educational Institutions in Kollam District
- "University Of Kerala, Affiliated colleges".
- Last Ranks Allotment No 3, CEE-Kerala.com 29 August 2011.
- "Official website of the Commissioner for Entrance Exams, Kerala".
- "The Ministry Of Overseas Indian Affairs".
- "GATE Office, IITM.".
- "Official Website for MCA Admission, Kerala.".
- "Official Website, All India Management Association.".
- "TKMCE Alumni Global Association".
- "TKMCE Alumni UAE".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thangal Kunju Musaliar College of Engineering.|