|Directed by||V. C. Guhanathan|
|Produced by||D. Ramanaidu|
|Written by||V. C. Guhannathan|
|Cinematography||P. S. Nivas|
|Edited by||K. M. Marthand|
|Distributed by||Suresh Productions|
Thanikattu Raja (lit. The lone forest king) is a 1982 Indian Tamil-language action film written and directed by V. C. Guhanathan. It stars Rajnikanth, Sridevi and Sripriya in the lead roles with Jaishankar, Vijayakumar, Sathyakala and Y. Gee. Mahendra in supporting roles. The film was a hit at the box office. 'Santhana Kaatrae' and 'Raasavae Unna Naan' songs became famous in 1982. Produced by D. Ramanaidu under the banner Suresh Productions, the film had music by Ilayaraja and cinematography handled by P. S. Nivas.
Soori (Rajinikanth) is a rebellious young man who works as a mechanic and often lands in trouble fighting for justice. He falls in love with a rich girl Vaani (Sridevi), but Vaani's father plots to break their relationship through his manager (Vijayakumar). In the ensuing melee, Soori murders the manager to save Vaani's honour. Soori is about to be sentenced to death and Vaani finds that the only way she can save Soori is by marrying a rich, roguish man (Jaishankar) who uses his money to get Soori's death penalty commuted to a prison term.
After his release, Soori is distraught at losing Vaani and takes to drinking. He moves to his village where he becomes immensely popular among the villagers due to his righteous work and progressive activities. He offers protection to a village damsel Vidhya (Sripriya) to escape from being forced to be a 'devadasi' and later marries her but still remains alcoholic. Vaani meets and advises him to stop drinking and turn over a new leaf. Despite being abused by her husband and falsely accused of hobnobbing with Soori, Vaani maintains the sanctity of her marriage. Whether Soori and Vaani's lives return to normal forms the rest of the story.
- Rajinikanth as Soori (Sooriya Prakash)
- Sridevi as Vani
- Sripriya as Vidhya
- Jaishankar as Ethiraj
- Major Sundarrajan as Jayaprakash
- Sangili Murugan as Vadivelu
- Y. G Mahendran as Ravi
- Vijayakumar as Vasu
- V. K. Ramasamy as 'Salaiyur' S.K.R
- Venniradai Moothy as Kannisamy
- Thengai Srinivasan as Siva (kanakkupillai)
- R. S. Manohar as Rajasekhar
- Sathyakala as Seetha
- Rajesh as Ethiraj's brother
- K. Kannan as Paranthaman
- K. Natraj as Village people
- C. L. Anandhan as Henchman
- Oru Viral Krishna Rao as Tea shop owner
- M. R. R. Vasu as Uncle of Vidya
- Usilaimani as Village people
- Y. Vijaya as Madhavi
- Idichapuli Selvaraj as Ponnusamy
- Senthamarai as Landlord
- Jr. Manohar as Friend of Soori
- I. S. Ramachandran as Ramu
- V. Gopalakrishnan as Sangaralingam
- Silk Smitha as (Special Appearance)
|1||"Naan thaan Taapu"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:32|
|2||"Santhana Kaatre||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||3:47|
|3||"Naan thaanda ippo Devadas"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:23|
|4||"Koovungal Sevalgale"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:30|
|5||"Raasaave Unna Naan Ennithan"||S. P. Sailaja||4:29|
|1||"Aaj Ka Dada Main Ban Gaya"||Shailendra Singh||4:23|
|2||"Dafli Baje Kya Kahe"||Shailendra Singh||4:30|
|3||"Dil Kya Jaan Bhi"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Vani Jairam||4:32|
|4||"Khilti Kali Yeh Roop Tera"||Shailendra Singh, Alka Yagnik||3:47|
|5||"Saanson Mein Sargam"||Alka Yagnik||4:29|
- "மதுரகீதம் படத்தின் மூலம் டைரக்டர் ஆனார் வி.சி.குகநாதன்". Maalai Malar (in Tamil). 22 July 2007. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "கின்னஸ் தயாரிப்பாளர் டி.ராமா நாயுடு பேரனுக்கு போலீஸ் வலை". Maalai Malar (in Tamil). 5 January 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Suresh Production – Filmography". Suresh Productions. Retrieved 19 September 2013.