Thanjavur Junction railway station
|Express train, Passenger train and Commuter rail station|
Entrance of Railway Station
|Location||Gandhiji Road, Thanjavur-1, Tamil Nadu
|Elevation||60 metres (200 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Southern Railway zone|
|Line(s)||Chennai Egmore–Thanjavur line
Tiruchirappalli Junction-Nagapattinam line [Thanjavur - Mannargudi line Via Nidamangalam junction]
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
Thanjavur is located on the "main line" of the railway system in the Coromandel coast connecting Chennai with Tiruchchirappalli via Villupuram, Cuddalore, Mayiladuthurai (Mayuram) and Thanjavur junctions. In 1861 the Great Southern Railway of India built the 125 km (78 mi) long 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) wide broad gauge line between Nagapatnam and Tiruchirapalli (then known as Trichinopoly) and the line was opened to traffic next year. It was a new development south of Chennai. After taking over of GSIR by South Indian Railway Company in 1874, the Nagapatnam-Tiruchirapalli line was converted to 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) wide metre gauge in 1875.
The South India Railway Company laid a 715 km (444 mi) long metre gauge trunk line from Chennai to Tuticorin via Mayiladuthurai Kumbakonam and Thanjavur in 1880. The 82.67 km (51 mi) long Tindivanam -Cuddalore Port (then known as Cuddalore Junction) sector, 27.60 km (17 mi) long Cuddalore Port-Porto Novo sector, 19.71 km (12 mi) long Shyali-Mayiladuturai sector and 70.42 km (44 mi) long Mayiladuturai-Thanjavur sector were opened in 1877, thereby connecting Tindivanam to the already opened Tiruchirappalli-Nagapattinam line.
Three rail lines branch for Thanjavur Junction:
- Towards north for Mayiladuthurai Junction.
- Towards east for Nidamangalam Junction.
- Towards west for Tiruchirappalli Junction.
New electrification survey in 2012-13 had been sanctioned in the Railway budget for the Karaikkal/Karaikkal port-Thiruvarur-Thanjavur-Tiruchchirappalli and Nagapattinam-Velankanni sectors.
- "Four Cauvery Delta Branches". IRFCA. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "IR History: Early Days – I". Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1832 - 1865). Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "IR History: Early Days – II". Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1870 - 1899). Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Chugging into the past". The Hindu, 18 December 2004. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Trichur rly division nets Rs. 23.77 cr. Passenger earnings". The Hindu, 16 August 2004. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "More trains in pipeline for delta districts, says Southern Railway GM". The Hindu, 19 February 2011. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Specific items for Southern Railway in Railway Budget 2012-13". New Railway Electrification Surveys sanctioned in 2012-13. Archived from the original on 15 January 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|Southern Railway zone
Chennai-Tiruchirappalli main line
|Southern Railway zone
Tiruchirappalli-Nagapattinam branch line