||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||"Truth Triumphs; Falsehood Never"|
|Chairman||Sh. R.R. Vederah|
|Director||Prof. Prakash Gopalan|
|Location||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Campus||250 acres (1.0 km2), Urban|
|Engineering – India|
|Business – India|
|* Limited participation|
Thapar University, formerly known as Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, was founded in 1956 by Karam Chand Thapar and is situated in Patiala. It has grown in size and activities during the last five decades of its existence. It was granted full autonomy and the status of a university by the University Grants Commission in 1985. It was ranked #5 by the limited participation CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011.
Thapar University Alumni are known as Thaparians, and has got one of the best and rich Alumni base in the country. It's alumni holds top most positions in corporate world both at Indian and foreign firms many being CEOs, MDs, CFOs and also they have significant presence at top government posts.
Thapar University is today considered among the leading privately managed engineering institutions of the country. National Assessment and Accreditation Council, an autonomous body funded by the UGC, has accredited Thapar University with 'A Grade'. On 24 November 2014, Thapar University signed an agreement with Trinity College, Dublin, as part of its efforts to impart global standard education at its campus in Patiala.
The campus has six old academic blocks, namely A,B,C,D,E,F and a recently constructed TAN block. The blocks are well constructed with greenery interspersed between them. The university campus has six hostels for boys. Each hostel has a gym, a reading room and a common room. There is a cooperative mess system in each hostel, and a student executive committee headed by the warden to manage day-to-day hostel \ Hostel -A(Capacity: 252) Hostel -B(Capacity: 282)B stands for Barqat
Hostel -C(Capacity: 320)C stands for Chahat Hostel - D Hostel- G Hostel- K Hostel - L Hostel -H(Capacity: 480)
Hostel-J(Capacity: 942) J stands for Jannat. As the name must suggest, this hostel is best in the campus and understandably the most expensive.
Hostel-E(Capacity : 237)
Hostel -I(Capacity: 407)
The campus boasts of an in-house market COS (Cultural Open-air Sports) complex which has variety of shops where one can eat, drink, get his/her laundry done and buy stationery items.
The institute offers undergraduate programmes leading to Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) degree and postgraduate programmes leading to Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Software Engineering, Master of Technology (M.Tech.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) degrees. Students have to take the Jee-main exam to get admission into Thapar University for the undergraduate program and students take the MET exam for admission into graduate/postgraduate programmes.
College societies and chapters
The college has a variety of Technical as well as nontechnical societies. A few of them are:
- Thapar Codechef Chapter: This society promotes coding in Thapar university
- Computer Society of India
- Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers Students' Chapter
- Fine Arts and Photography Society: FAPS promotes photography and arts among students of TU.
- LEAD Society
- Thapar Adventure Club(ACTU)
- Thapar IIChE (Indian Institute Of Chemical Engineers): Organizes events related to chemistry.
- Thapar AIChE (American Institute Of Chemical Engineers)
- Literary Society: Also known as LITSOC hosts Literary fests and events. It is sub divided into 8 sub societies.
- Thapar MUN (Model United Nations)
- Scientist's Spiritual Alliance
- Creative Computing Society: CCS hosts events that are related to technical skills of computer science students
- Microsoft Student Chapter
- Linux User Group
- Thapar Nautanki Team: Also referred to as TNT, regarded as one of the most active and vibrant group of Thapar University. Also considered as one of the best street play team in North India. All the expenditure is shared among its members and no funds are taken from college. TNT generally perform on social issues. Team consists of musicians, actors, writers, poets etc
- Team Fateh(India's top most Student's Formula One Car Racing Team. Team has won many international awards for racing.
- Thapar Toastmasters International Club: Where leaders are created for speaking. It encourages students to develop good communication skills in English and try to find out the leaders. Also it is associated with the International Society of Toastmasters.
The institute offers undergraduate programmes leading to Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) degree.
|*Computer Engineering (Hons in Machine Learning and Data Analytics)||CS(MLDA)|
|*Computer Engineering (Hons in Computer Animation and Gaming)||CS(CAG)|
|*Electronics & Communication Engineering||ECE|
|*Electronics (Instrumentation & Control) Engineering||EIC|
|*Mechanical Production Engineering||MPE|
|* Electronics and Computers||ECE|
The university has several playgrounds and well-maintained athletic track to encourage the students to take part in different games such as cricket, hockey, table tennis, football, basketball, volleyball, lawn tennis, badminton, chess and athletics.
The university has also a gymnasium-cum-badminton hall and a swimming pool complex equipped with all modern facilities.
It is mandatory for all the students of the university to get themselves registered in any one of the following activities in each semester
- Any one of the games
- Physical exercises
Thapar University was selected for conducting SDO Examination in Department of Irrigation & Punjab Water Resource Management and Development Corporation by the Government of Punjab, Exam was conducted on 16th Oct 2016, but to earn more money officials leaked the exam papers before the commencement of examination.
List of Cancelled Examinations because of Question Paper Leaks by Thapar University
- Recruitment of Sub Divisional Engineers, Civil in Department of Irrigation Punjab, 90 posts
- Recruitment of Sub Divisional Engineers, Mechanical in Department of irrigation Punjab, 10 posts
- Recruitment of Sub Divisional Engineers, Civil in Punjab Water Resource Management and Development Corporation, 10 posts
Thapar University plans to set up two campuses over the next five years: one on a 14-acre (57,000 m2) campus near Chandigarh and another in Chhattisgarh. It plans to offer courses in management and engineering at its proposed Chandigarh campus and will invest around Rs 30-35 crore. The existing 250-acre (1.0 km2) campus in Patiala has a student strength of 4,600 and can accommodate around 6,000 students.
- Ashutosh Jindal, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Anoop Kumar Mittal Chairman-cum-Managing Director of National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited
- Jitin Goyal President & CEO, Polaris Consulting & Services Limited
- RAJIV BANSAL-CTO VODAFONE J&K
- Sumeet Aggarwal, COO - Cash Equities Europe, Barclays Investment Bank
- Harv Sembhi, Vice President SCM and Chief Procurement Officer, Husky Energy
- Robin Raina, Chairman and CEO of Ebix Inc. and founder of the Robin Raina Foundation.
- Mr. Ashish Kumar Bhardwaj, founder Snapstick Inc
- Taranjit S. Samra, Head of Quality Assurance, Google Life Sciences
- Mohandass Saini, CEO, Shapoorji Pallonji & Co. Ltd.
- Hardeep S. Brar, Vice President - Sales & Network at General Motors India
- Praveen Kumar, Managing Director, J.P. Morgan, India
- Ranjit Singh, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Search Global Pte. Ltd. Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and India
- Amit Sharma, Director HR - Global MoS Business, Healthcare Innovation Center & India Industrial Operations at Philips HealthTech
- Mohit Ganju, Executive Vice President & Head - Marketing & Communications, IndusInd Bank
- Irwin Preet Singh Anand, Chief Operating Officer at OLX India
- Singh Surjit, Vice President, IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Limited
- Mohit Malhotra, Executive Director, Godrej Properties Limited
- Arvind Vohra, Operations Director / Region COO at Vodafone India
- Gaurav Sood, Managing Director at Solairedirect Energy India Pvt. Ltd
- Madhav M Malhotra, Vice President, Vodafone India Limited
- Sunil Duggal, CEO and MD, Hindustan Zinc
- Sandeep Walia, Executive Vice President, Hitachi Solutions - Microsoft Dynamics
- Antarpreet Singh, CXO - Digital technologies
- Rajdeep Dua Director, Developer Relations- Salesforce
- Gagandeep Singh, CEO at Bright Autoplast Ltd.
- Ajit Manocha, CIO - Syngene -Biocon Limited
- Vipin Gupta, CIO / IT leader - Financial Services
- Rajiv Bansal, VP Product-Peel
- Prashant Bindal, CEO, Spice Mobility Ltd
- Anil Chaudhry, Country President & Managing Director- Schneider Electric , India
- Anil Chalana, Business Head- Captive Eduworld
- Prof. R.L. Sharma, Vice-Chancellor-Himachal Pradesh Technical University
- Kulshaan Singh, Country Leader of Mercer, Singapore.
- Jasbir Singh Ryait, Chairman & CEO, G.S. Auto
- Vijay Kanwar, Chairman of Greater Toronto Airports Authority
- Prem Kapoor, Director of Shivpra Cranes Pvt Ltd
- Vikas Kaushal, Managing Director, Magnus Steels
- Shivani Kapur, Director of Rico Auto Industries
- Saket Bhatia, Director of Bony Polymers
- J.P. Kalta Managing Director HP Power Transmission Corporation Ltd
- Dr Jogeshwar Preet Singh - Founder of Geospectra Incorporated, USA
- MK Trisal. President & CEO - India at G.E. Motors India
- Jagvir Goyal, HOD and Chief Engineer, Civil Design & Construction, PSPCL
- Ashok Khosla, CEO of Om Companies,Singapore
- Anirudh Koul, Data scientist at Microsoft
- Dr Tarlochan Singh Sidhu, Dean of the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), Canada
- Balli Singh, President, CFO TODAY
- P.K. Gupta, Director, Punjlloyd Limited
- Deepa Soni, Director, Enterprise Architecture & Process Engineering Group, KeyCorp. Cleveland, OH. USA
- Pinkraj Singla, CEO, Freescale Semiconductors
- Rajeev Sehgal, Director of Engineering, Mentor Graphics Inc.
- Sanjeev Kapur, Managing Director, MSD Infosys Ltd.
- Ratinder Paul Singh Ahuja, CEO ShieldX Networks Inc.San Francisco Bay Area
- Vinod Kumar Sharma, Managing Director, Flowserve India Controls Pvt. Ltd.
- Vijay Kumar Jindal, Managing Director, SPL Industries Ltd.
- Balbir Singh, Vice President, Emerson India
- Arun Bhatnagar, Chairman & Managing Director, MG Worldwide Private Ltd.
- Avinash C. Mannan, Chairman & CEO, The Mannan Group, India and CEO, First Performance General Trading & Contracting Co., Kuwait.
- Davinder Singh Brar, Chairman of Mphasis
- Vimal Kapur, President of Honeywell Automation India Ltd
- Devinder Proothi, CEO of MNP Turnamatics
- Bharti Bhushan Jindal, Managing Director of Jindal Electricals, Ludhiana
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "GHRDC-CSR Engineering Colleges Survey 2013" (PDF). Competition Success Review. Competition Success Review and the Global Human Resources Development Centre. July 2013. pp. 1–6.
- "Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Department of Irrigation Examination Scam". Punjabi Tribune. 17 October 2016. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Avantha group to invest Rs 100 crore in education sector". Indian Express. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2013-12-26.