Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, previously known as Thapar University, is an institute deemed to be university, in Patiala. It was founded in 1956 by Karam Chand Thapar. The institute has been granted full autonomy and the status of deemed-to-be-university by the University Grants Commission.
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, was founded by Karam Chand Thapar in 1956. Karam Chand Thapar, one the great captains of Indian Industry established this institute to provide a close interaction with industry, and a strong emphasis on basic and applied research. The mission of the institution as embodied in the Trust Deed dated April 9, 1956. It was granted full autonomy and the status of deemed-to-be-university by the University Grants Commission in 1985.
From 1956, Thapar Institute has grown in size. Now the campus spawns over 250 acres with lush green environment.
L.M. Thapar School of Management
LM Thapar School of Management (LMTSM) was established on 2007 in the Patiala (Punjab, India),under the flagship of Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology. The institute was incepted in the fond memory of Late Shri. Lalit Mohan Thapar, founder of the Thapar Group of companies.
LMTSM was shifted in 2013 to its present state campus in Dera Bassi, Punjab,India. LMSTM was established to deliver a sole purpose of transform graduates into professionals with a unique platform of global exposure with experiential learning.
The campus is set on a sprawling area of 33 acres. The institute is organised into 9 academic units with 6 centres of excellence. LMTSM has a residential facility for over 500 students. The graduates run over 30 clubs reinforcing their academic, sports and cultural pursuits.
The institute offers undergraduate programmes leading to Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) degree and postgraduate programmes leading to Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Software Engineering, Master of Technology (M.Tech.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) degrees.
The academic unit is divided into several departments and schools, including -
- Chemical Engineering Department
- Civil Engineering Department
- Computer Science & Engineering Department
- Department of Biotechnology
- Electrical & Instrumentation Engineering Department
- Electronics & Communication Engineering Department
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- Continuing Education
- School of Chemistry & Bio-Chemistry
- School of Energy and Environment
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Mathematics
- School of Physics & Materials Science
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology offers Bachelor of Technology programs in various fields as well as dual degree B.Tech-cum-MBA programs. The admission to these programs is done through Joint Entrance Examination – Mains as well as through Lateral Entry (LEET).
The bachelor programmes includes -
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics - Instrumentation and Control
- Electronics Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical - Production
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology also offers admissions to postgraduate programs awarding ME MTech, MCA, M.Sc., MA and Ph.D.
The campus is housed in a 250 acre land in the heart of Patiala. and has six old academic blocks, namely A, B, C, D, E, F, H and a recently constructed TAN block. The old building of Thapar Polytechnic College has been converted into an academic block named G.
The campus can accommodate more than 6000 students.
The campus has eight boys hostels (A, B, C, H, J, K, L, M) and five girls hostels (E, G, I, PG, N).
Expansion in 2018
In 2018, the institute inauguration of 3 new buildings including a lecture hall complex, computer block and a new library. The new building inhabits state of the art modern technologies, making them one of the best places to study and research in India.
These structure were designed by McCullough Mulvin Architects of Ireland.
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2018)||210|
|Times (World) (2018)||801-1000|
|Times (Asia) (2018)||251-300|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||50|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||30|
|Engineering – India|
|India Today (2017)||10|
|Outlook India (2017)||19|
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology was ranked 801-1000 in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2018 and 251-300 in Asia. The QS World University Rankings of 2018 ranked it 210 in Asia. In India, the university ranked 10th among engineering colleges by India Today in 2017, 19 by Outlook India in 2017. The National Institutional Ranking Framework has ranked in 20 among engineering institutions in 2018 33 among universities and 50 overall.
The university has several playgrounds and well-maintained athletic track to encourage the students to take part in different games such as cricket, hockey, table tennis, football, basketball, volleyball, lawn tennis, badminton, chess and athletics.
The university has also a gymnasium-cum-badminton hall and a swimming pool complex equipped with all modern facilities.
Thapar University plans to set up two campuses over the next five years: one on a 14-acre (57,000 m2) campus near Chandigarh and another in Chhattisgarh. It plans to offer courses in management and engineering at its proposed Chandigarh campus and will invest around Rs 30-35 crore. The existing 250-acre (1.0 km2) campus in Patiala has a student strength of 4,600 and can accommodate around 6,000 students.
- Amuleek Singh Bijral, founder of Chai Point
- Asra Garg, Deputy Inspector General of Police
- Vipin Gupta, Chief Information Officer at Toyota Financial Services
- Anoop Kumar Mittal, chairman and managing director of National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited
- Robin Raina, CEO of Ebix Inc.
- Dixit Sharma, Head of Tools and Automation, Ericsson
- Deepak Vinayak, community leader, Melbourne, Australia
- "Thapar University, Patiala, Punjab - campus extension".
- "QS Asian University Rankings 2018". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "Top 1000 World University Rankings 2018". The Times Higher Education. 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings (2018)". The Times Higher Education. 2018. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "India's Best Colleges 2017: Engineering". India Today. 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Top 100 Engineering Colleges In 2017". Outlook India. 5 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Avantha group to invest Rs 100 crore in education sector". Indian Express. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2013-12-26.
- "Toyota Financial Services (TFS) USA Appoints New Chief Information Officer | Corporate". Retrieved 2018-07-11.
- "NBCC Board of Directors". nbccindia.com.