That's My Kind of Night
|"That's My Kind of Night"|
|Single by Luke Bryan|
|from the album Crash My Party|
|Released||August 5, 2013|
|Luke Bryan singles chronology|
"That's My Kind of Night" is a song written by Dallas Davidson, Chris DeStefano, and Ashley Gorley, and recorded by American country music artist Luke Bryan. It was released in August 2013 as the second single from his fourth studio album, Crash My Party (2013).
The track has been successful commercially, with "That's My Kind of Night" helping Bryan set a record as the first male country artist to top Billboard's Hot Country Songs and Top Country Albums charts simultaneously.
Content and creation
"That was one of the most fun writing sessions of all time... I was clapping out a little beat. It’s something that nobody wants to see. It looks hilarious... more or less of a party vibe. We knew we wanted to make people feel good. We wanted to stretch the boundaries a little bit musically and... thought we had something special after the first few minutes of getting into that groove. We thought it was cool. We’re exceptionally proud when that one comes on. I’ve gone to the shows and seen people’s reaction to that. I think that’s a really country song in spite of whatever’s been said. I’m glad it hit as big as it did. Also no cowbell"
The song is an up-tempo track in which the male narrator describes an ideal night with his lover.
The song received mixed to negative reviews from several critics. Billy Dukes of Taste of Country rated the song 2.5 stars out of 5, praising Bryan's performance of the song and describing the production of the song as "corny-cool." He also called it "an eye-roller from start to finish, but Bryan’s absolute commitment makes it tolerable, if not enjoyable in the right setting." Bob Paxman of Country Weekly rated the song a "C-", saying that "it unfurls all the prerequisite clichés: jacked-up trucks, beer, getting your 'love on', and other assorted triteness", although he also said that the it was "undeniably catchy and the record has some nice production touches, including the playful vocal." Ben Foster of Country Universe gave the album itself a "D-" rating, and he argued about the song, "Unfortunately, it also has unabashedly dumb, mind-numbing lyrics that insult the history of the country genre and the intelligence of its fans, shamelessly recycling cliché after cliché right from the opening verse..."
In a September 2013 interview, country artist Zac Brown stated that Bryan's song was "the worst song I've ever heard." He later clarified via Twitter that he did not dislike Bryan as an artist. In Bryan's defense, artist Jason Aldean posted on Instagram, and one of the song's co-writers, Dallas Davidson, spoke out as well.
The tour video was directed by Michael Monaco and premiered in August 2013.
"That's My Kind of Night" debuted at number 21 on the Billboard Country Airplay and number 40 on the Hot Country Songs charts dated August 17, 2013. It also debuted at number 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 19 on the Canadian Hot 100 charts dated August 31, 2013.
It reached number one on the Hot Country Songs chart in its third week. The single was certified 2× Platinum by the RIAA on May 20, 2014, and it reached its 2 million sales mark in the United States in June 2014. As of August 2015, the song has sold 2,369,000 copies in the US.
Bryan, with the help of "That's My Kind of Night", set a record in late 2013 as the first male country artist to top Billboard's Hot Country Songs and Top Country Albums charts simultaneously.
Charts and certifications
by Florida Georgia Line
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
August 31–November 16, 2013
"We Were Us"
by Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert
- Interview With Ashley Gorley, Hit Songwriter For Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan And Many Country Stars. January 20, 2014.
- PREMIERE: Hot Video for 'That's My Kind of Night'
- Paxman, Bob (30 September 2013). "Reviews: 'That's My Kind of Night'". Country Weekly. 20 (39): 50. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Dukes, Billy (July 30, 2013). "Luke Bryan, 'That's My Kind of Night' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Luke Bryan : That's My Kind of Night (Tour Performance Video)". Country Music Television. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Luke Bryan : That's My Kind Of Night". Country Music Television. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Jessen, Wade (August 22, 2013). "Luke Bryan Doubles Up Atop Hot Country Songs, Top Country Albums". Billboard. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Paul Grein (June 25, 2014). "Chart Watch: Maroon 5 Beats Coldplay". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).
- Matt Bjorke (August 18, 2015). "The Top 30 Digital Country Singles: August 18, 2015".
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Canada Country for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Luke Bryan.
- "Luke Bryan – Chart history" Billboard Country Airplay for Luke Bryan.
- "Best of 2013: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Canadian single certifications – Luke Bryan – That's My Kind of Night". Music Canada. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Luke Bryan – My Kind of Night". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH