That Demon Within
|That Demon Within|
|Directed by||Dante Lam|
|Produced by||Candy Leung|
|Screenplay by||Jack Ng|
|Story by||Dante Lam|
|Music by||Leon Ko|
|Edited by||Patrick Tam|
|Distributed by||Emperor Motion Pictures|
That Demon Within (Mo Ging, traditional Chinese character: 魔警) is a 2014 Hong Kong action psychological thriller film directed by Dante Lam and starring Daniel Wu and Nick Cheung. It premiered at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival in February 2014 and also included on the 16 edition of Far East Film Festival in Udine . The film was released on 18 April 2014.
Reclusive cop Dave wong (Daniel Wu) unwittingly saves the life of criminal gang leader Hon Kong (Nick Cheung) by donating his blood (Blood donation to dave and hon.), thus symbolizing that despite diametrically opposed outer appearances they are essentially made of the same stuff. The gang members hide their faces behind traditional demon masks when committing their violent crimes. During psychotic episodes Dave experiences his own demons within as he sets out to play off the gang members against each other, resulting in everyone's annihilation. It is then revealed that Dave was brought up by a high expressed emotion father in a socio-economically disadvantaged living environment. He witnessed his father's death inadvertently caused by the responsible policeman who resembled Hon Kong. As a young, innocent soul who had lost the father, he impulsively went on to take revenge, resulting in excessive guilt that predisposed the onset of psychosis later in his life. The event whereby he rescued Hon Kong reminded him of his suppressed memories as a child who had done wrong but trying the hardest to make reparation. Before his inevitable death, there was an opportunity for him to resolve his subconscious intrapersonal conflicts which was to have the courage to fix a mistake done.
dave wong died in burning fire at the Gas station by night.
- Daniel Wu as Dave Wong
- Nick Cheung as Hon Kong / Riot police officer
- Christie Chen as Liz Kwok
- Andy On as Ben Chan
- Liu Kai-chi as Broker
- Dominic Lam as Inspector Mok (pops.)
- Joseph Lee as Effigy
- Stephen Au as MC
- Chi Kuan-chun as Dave's father
- Ken Wong as Smart Ass
- Deep Ng as Kwong
- Samuel Leung as Rookie
- Lam Tsing as Chanter
- Philip Keung as Station Sergeant
- Astrid Chan as Stephanie
- Fung So-bor as Granny
- Wu Ying-man as Private nurse
- "THAT DEMON WITHIN". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- Press Office (17 January 2014). "Jan 17, 2014: Panorama 2014: Selection of Fictional Features for Main Programme and Panorama Special Now Complete". berlinale.de. Berlin International Film Festival. Archived from the original on 27 January 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Todd Brown (29 January 2014). "Dante Lam's THAT DEMON WITHIN Hits US Screens Day And Date With Hong Kong Release". twitchfilm. Archived from the original on 18 February 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
|This article related to a Hong Kong film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|