That Old Gang of Mine (song)
|"That Old Gang of Mine"|
|Lyricist(s)||Billy Rose, Mort Dixon|
"That Old Gang of Mine" is a 1923 popular song composed by Ray Henderson with lyrics by Billy Rose and Mort Dixon, and published by Irving Berlin, Inc. It was introduced in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1923 by the vaudeville duo Van and Schenk. The song became a million-seller.
The song was recorded by many artists in 1923. On June 5, Billy Murray and Ed Smalle recorded the most popular version of "That Old Gang of Mine" (Victor 19095), which went to #1 on US charts. Other recording artists that charted with the song in 1923 were Benny Krueger and His Orchestra (peaked at #3), Billy Jones and Ernest Hare (peaked at #6), and The Benson Orchestra of Chicago (peaked at #6). The 1923 silent film The Country Kid used the song as its musical theme, and sheet music promoting the film was printed.
In 1950, Rose, Dixon, and Henderson filed to regain rights to the song, but the Court ruled that the publisher was entitled to renew its right.
- Bing Crosby - included in his album Bing Crosby's Treasury - The Songs I Love (1968 version) (1968).
- Buddy Clark (1942)
- Dean Martin - included in his album Once in a While (1978)
- Mitch Miller and the Gang (1961)
- Peggy Lee (1945)
- Perry Como (1939) and (1951)
- Tyler, Don (2007). Hit Songs, 1900–1955: American Popular Music of the Pre-Rock Era. McFarland. p. 130. ISBN 978-0-7864-2946-2.
- Burton, Jack (December 16, 1950). "No. 81, Billy Rose". Billboard. 62 (50): 39. ISSN 0006-2510.
- For the recording date, see "Victor matrix B-27997, 'That Old Gang of Mine' / Billy Murray; Ed Smalle". Discography of American Historical Recordings. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
For the chart position, see "That Old Gang of Mine / Billy Murray and Ed Smalle". Music VF. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
- For Krueger, see "That Old Gang of Mine / Benny Krueger and His Orchestra". Music VF. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
For Jones and Hare, see "That Old Gang of Mine / Billy Jones and Ernest Hare". Music VF. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
For Benson Ork, see "That Old Gang of Mine / The Benson Orchestra of Chicago". Music VF. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
- "That Old Gang of Mine". Charles Templeton Sheet Music Collection. Mississippi State University Libraries. Retrieved 2015-03-25.
- "Court Names Bourne Legal 'Gang' Owner". The Billboard. 72 (23): 3. June 6, 1960. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Discogs.com". Discogs.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "45cat.com". 45cat.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Peggy Lee Discography". peggyleediscography.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Perry Como Discography". kokomo.ca. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "That Old Gang of Mine", sung by Billy Murray and Ed Smalle, at the Discography of American Historical Recordings, UC Santa Barbara Libraries