Thattekad Bird Sanctuary
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary |
തട്ടേക്കാട് പക്ഷി സങ്കേതം
|Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary,|
Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary
A Malabar grey hornbill at Thattekkad
|Location||Kothamangalam taluka, Ernakulam district, Kerala state, India|
|Nearest city||Kochi (Cochin)|
The Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary, covering an area of barely 25 km2, and located about 12 km from Kothamangalam (Kerala state, India), was the first bird sanctuary in Kerala. Salim Ali, one of the best known ornithologist described this sanctuary as the richest bird habitat on peninsular India. Thattekkad literally means flat forest, and the region is an evergreen low-land forest located between the branches of Periyar River, the longest river in Kerala.
The Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary has a rich and varied birdlife. Several species of birds, both forest birds as well as the water birds, visit the sanctuaries, and the important ones include the following:
The Indian pitta, which visits the sanctuary during winter and spends almost six months here.
- Orange-headed thrush
- Large-billed leaf-warbler
- Jerdon's nightjar
- Indian cuckoo
- Oriental darter
- Whiskered terns
- Collared scops owl
- Ceylon frogmouth
- Grey-fronted green pigeon
- Yellow-browed bulbuls
The sanctuary is a habitat for different varieties of cuckoos and a region of the sanctuary popularly called "Cuckoo Paradise" is home to them, among which are the:
- Drongo cuckoo, which may be easily mistaken for drongo,
- Indian hawk cuckoo, which is highly vocal, and the
- Large hawk cuckoo, which looks relatively massive compared to other types of cuckoos, and is characterized by a dark grey and heavily streaked throat.
The Edamalayar forest is located about 15 km from Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary. This is also an evergreen forest located above the Edamalayar River. The mountain hawk eagles are found in this forest. Other birds in this forest include dark-fronted babbler, brown-cheeked fulvetta, brown-backed and white-rumped needletails, and emerald green pigeons.
- Swarna V. and Ramakrishnana, S. (28 May 2006). "Inside a magical rainforest". The Hindu.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Bird sanctuaries: Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary". ENVIS Centre: Kerala, State of Environment and Related Issues, Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Staff (5 May 2009). "Rich pickings await bird lovers here". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Staff (12 August 2010). "Feel the wild at Thattekkad". Malayala Manorama.
- Things to Know before Travelling Thattekad
- Thattekad Sanctuary Entry fees and Timings
- Thattekad Butterfly park
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary.|