This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (January 2019)
Thazhvaram DVD cover
|Produced by||V. B. K. Menon|
|Written by||M. T. Vasudevan Nair|
Balan K. Nair
|Music by||Background music:|
|Edited by||B. Lenin|
V. T. Vijayan
Anughraha Cini Arts
|Distributed by||Anughraha Cini Arts Release (Kerala)|
Thazhvaram (English: The Valley) is a 1990 Indian Malayalam-language revenge-thriller film, directed by Bharathan and written by M. T. Vasudevan Nair. It stars Mohanlal, Salim Ghouse, Sumalatha, Anju and Sankaradi in the lead roles. It tells the tale of Balan (Mohanlal), who's on the lookout for revenge against Raju (Salim Ghouse) for the murder of Balan's wife Raji (Anju).
Balan (Mohanlal) is in search of Raju (Salim Ghouse) and the search takes him to a remote village in a valley. Balan reaches a house in the hills, where he is welcomed wholeheartedly by both Nanu (Sankaradi), the house owner, and Kochutty (Sumalatha), his daughter. Balan realizes that Raju stays with them as Raghavan. Balan comes to know that Nanu has helped Raju to start farming and that Nanu intends to get his daughter married to Raju. Balan decides to wait for Raghavan, alias Raju. Raju, on his arrival, smells his enemy.
The film progresses in with the two having to pretend before Nanu and Kochutty that they are good friends. The film cuts to a flashback, where Raju, alias Raghavan is shown as a friend of Balan once. He, in greed for money, killed Balan's wife, Raji (Anju) on their wedding night and ran away with Balan's hard earned money. Balan is now back in search of Raju to avenge the death of his wife.
Raju attacks Balan in one of the numerous encounters the duo has and almost kills Balan. Balan survives the attack to save Nanu and his daughter from Raghavan.
- Mohanlal as Balan
- Salim Ghouse as Raju alias Raghavan
- Sumalatha as Kochootti (Voice dubbed by Anandavally)
- Anju as Raji (Voice dubbed by Sreeja Ravi)
- Sankaradi as Nanu
- Balan K. Nair
|1||"Kannetha Doore Marutheeram"||K. J. Yesudas||Ragam: Sudha Saveri|
Upon release, the film, a slow starter, garnered highly positive reviews and became a hit both critically and commercially. The camera work of Venu is considered as the highlight of the film. Thazhvaram had just a handful of characters and the plot was so well developed that it was a visual treat for the viewers. The fighting in the climax amidst violent vultures is considered as one of the best climax scenes in Malayalam cinema.
- The songs were composed by Bharathan himself.
- Even though it was a big hit when released, now, over the years, this film is considered as a cult classic in Malayalam.
- The performance of Mohanlal is considered as one of his best in his acting career by the critics.
- This is Bharathan's second film with M. T. Vasudevan Nair. The first was Vaishali in 1988.
- This is the second collaboration of Mohanlal and Bharathan after Kattathe Killikudu.
- Bharathan and Sasi Menon and Gayathri Ashokan did the poster designs.