Type of site
|Created by||Shekhar Gupta|
ThePrint is noted for focusing on politics and policy. The venture is associated with the Off the Cuff programme that is broadcast on NDTV 24x7 and promoted on ThePrint's YouTube and Facebook channels.
In May 2017, ThePrint has received an undisclosed amount of funding from Infosys co-founders N.R. Narayana Murthy and Nandan Nilekani, industrialist Ratan Tata, Biocon founder Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, the Uday Kotak Family, Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Bengaluru-based tech entrepreneur Rajiv C. Mody, chairman of LVMH Asia Ravi Thakran, and IIFL founders Nirmal Jain, R. Venkatraman, Karan Bhagat and Yatin Shah. G
Gupta, as his position in editor-in-chief, in a letter to readers stated the mission of the ThePrint was to be "factual and liberal". ThePrint has claimed to commit to its code of ethics for journalists which it has published on its website.
ThePrint, being a new media digital platform primarily publishes its news stories on its website with majority of coverage in the English language. The platform additionally has a Hindi language edition of the website as well. The news coverage is divided into factual news reporting and opinion pieces.
The website is primarily supported by digital ad revenue, however it allows one time donations and recurring subscription from patrons. Subscription is open to both local and international audience in both local currency(INR) and USD. The subscriptions are voluntary and all the coverage is open to non subscribers as well.
ThePrint has also ventured into video reporting with YouTube as the platform. As of September 2020, they have over a million subscribers for their YouTube channel. There is dedicated coverage of news and opinion pieces on Youtube, with the platform also being used for engaging with the readership of the website. They have recurring special features like National Interest, Cut the Clutter and Off the Cuff.
Off The Cuff
Off The Cuff is a series of candid talk shows organized in collaboration with NDTV and launched in Feb 2016, though recent editions have been online only editions hosted by ThePrint alone. It hosts prominent personalities from across the spectrum in engaging conversations, some of its prominent guests being Amish Tripathi, Gita Gopinath, Martin Wolf and Francis Fukuyama.
- "Printline Media Private Limited". www.tofler.in.
- "Shekhar Gupta's media venture gets big names on-board". The Asian Age. Archived from the original on 20 June 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "ThePrint raises funding from corporate bigwigs Ratan Tata, Narayana Murthy, Nandan Nilekani, Uday Kotak, others". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 20 June 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Pokharel, Sugam; Berlinger, Joshua (4 April 2018). "India makes U-turn after proposing to punish 'fake news' publishers". CNN. Archived from the original on 22 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- "Shekhar Gupta". The Times of India. 3 November 2017. Archived from the original on 2 September 2019. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- Bansal, Shuchi. "Shekhar Gupta's The Print raises funds from Ratan Tata, Nandan Nilekani, Uday Kotak". Mint. Archived from the original on 20 June 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Printline Media gets funding". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "ThePrint raises funding from Tata, Narayana Murthy, others". Outlook. Archived from the original on 20 June 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Gupta, Shekhar. "Letter from the Editor-in-Chief". ThePrint. Archived from the original on 14 May 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "About – ThePrint". Archived from the original on 26 August 2019. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "Code Of Ethics – ThePrint". Archived from the original on 16 June 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "ThePrint Hindi - Latest News in Hindi, हिंदी समाचार, हिंदी न्यूज़, India, राजनीति, देश, विदेश, मत-विमत | दिप्रिंट हिंदी". ThePrint Hindi. Retrieved 20 November 2020.
- "Support Our Journalism – ThePrint". 9 September 2020. Archived from the original on 9 September 2020. Retrieved 20 November 2020.
- "Off The Cuff – ThePrint". 9 September 2020. Archived from the original on 9 September 2020. Retrieved 20 November 2020.
- "Off The Cuff". ThePrint. Retrieved 20 November 2020.