The 'In' Crowd (song)
|"The 'In' Crowd"|
|Single by Dobie Gray|
|from the album Dobie Gray Sings for "In" Crowders That Go "Go-Go"|
|B-side||"Be A Man"|
|Genre||Rhythm and blues|
|Dobie Gray singles chronology|
|"The 'In' Crowd"|
|Single by Ramsey Lewis Trio|
|from the album The In Crowd|
|Recorded||May 1965, Bohemian Caverns, Washington, D.C.|
"The ‘In’ Crowd" is a 1964 song written by Billy Page and arranged by his brother Gene that was originally performed by Dobie Gray on his album Dobie Gray Sings for 'In' Crowders That 'Go Go'. Gray's powerful Motown-like version, complete with brass section, reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 on 20 February 1965 and #25 in the UK in 1965. Gray's Shindig! performance of the song aired on 10 March 1965.
Ramsey Lewis instrumental versions
The Ramsey Lewis Trio recorded an instrumental version of the tune later that same year. Their jazzy take, recorded live at Bohemian Caverns, a Washington, D.C., night club, reached #5 on the Hot 100 on 9 October 1965 and was used for many years as background music of Jimmy Savile's Savile's Travels and Jimmy Savile's Old Record Club on BBC Radio 1.
- The Mamas & the Papas covered the song on their 1966 debut album If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears.
- Bryan Ferry covered the song on his 1974 album Another Time, Another Place and released it as a single which reached number 13 in the UK Singles Chart.
- Marshall Crenshaw covered the song on his 1996 album Miracle of Science.
- Cheap Trick covered the song on their 2016 album Bang, Zoom, Crazy... Hello.
- "Second Hand Songs - Recording: The 'In' Crowd - Dobie Gray". Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Drift Away and In Crowd singer Dobie Gray dies at 71". BBC news. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Shindig! Show 27: March 10, 1965 - Beau Brummels, Tony Bennett, The Drifters, Aretha Franklin, Dobie Gray, Mickey Rooney Jr". tv.com. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "UK Charts - Bryan Ferry". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.