The 13th Letter
|The 13th Letter|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Otto Preminger|
|Produced by||Otto Preminger|
|Screenplay by||Howard Koch|
|Based on||the story "Le Corbeau"
by Louis Chavance
|Music by||Alex North|
|Edited by||Louis R. Loeffler|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
The film concerns a doctor at a Canadian hospital in the province of Quebec, Canada who receives a series of poison pen letters. Later, more letters all signed with the mysterious pseudonym "Raven," are delivered to others in the small Canadian town. The wife of the doctor receives a letter accusing her of having an affair. One letter informs a shell-shocked veteran that he is dying of cancer, causing the distraught man to commit suicide. Quickly, the townsfolk begin pointing fingers at all possible suspects.
- Linda Darnell as Denise Tourneur
- Charles Boyer as Dr. Laurent
- Michael Rennie as Dr. Pearson
- Constance Smith as Cora Laurent
- Françoise Rosay as Mrs. Gauthier
- Judith Evelyn as Sister Marie Corbin
- Guy Sorel as Robert Helier
- June Hedin as Rochelle Turner
Channel 4's review of this film praised the cinematography and music score: "The movie is redolent with atmosphere: Joseph LaShelle's photography accentuates the black and shadows, and there's dark shading too in Alex North's music. The film is dominated by death and melancholy, and by Françoise Rosay as the matriarch responsible for the trouble."
- Channel 4, film review.
- The 13th Letter at the Internet Movie Database
- The 13th Letter at AllMovie
- The 13th Letter at the TCM Movie Database