The 5 Mrs. Buchanans
|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The 5 Mrs. Buchanans|
Main title card
|Created by||Marc Cherry
Harriet Sansom Harris
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||17|
|Location(s)||Fox Television Centre|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Wooten And Cherry Productions
20th Century Fox Television
|Original release||September 24, 1994 – March 25, 1995|
The 5 Mrs. Buchanans is an American television sitcom that aired on CBS from September 24, 1994 to March 25, 1995. Set in the fictional town of Mercy, Indiana, the show centers on the small-town misadventures of four disparate women with one thing in common: their loathing for their monster of a mother-in-law.
- Judith Ivey as Alexandria "Alex" Isaacson Buchanan - A former feminist from a Jewish family in New York, she owns an antique store. Married to Roy Buchanan, the eldest son. She is the oldest of the four women, and usually the most level-headed and mature. Her relationship with Mother Buchanan ranges from the civil, to absolute hatred, which, when coupled with snide remarks on both parts, makes for an amusing battleground.
- Beth Broderick as Delilah Buchanan - Originally from Corpus Christi, Texas, she is portrayed as a 'blonde' stereotype; ditzy, usually wearing lots of make-up and revealing clothing. She is married to Charles, the preacher, and becomes Head of the Ladies Auxiliary. Her dimness often evokes exasperation in the other women, however, she maintains a close relationship with each. Her past as a stripper often causes obstacles, but her caring nature serves to resolve them.
- Harriet Sansom Harris as Vivian Buchanan - A Republican housewife with two hooligan children (Lyndon and PJ), from her marriage to Ed Buchanan, she is shown as being rather neurotic, and narcissistic. Her extreme antics (such as selling pints of her own blood to buy a dress for a Dan Quayle dinner) are often a point of humour. Her relationship with Mother Buchanan is shown to be the most antagonistic.
- Charlotte Ross as Bree Larson Buchanan - A Californian and ex-Disneyland worker, her whirlwind romance and marriage to Jesse serves as the opening of the series. Characterised as quite naive and childish, she displays overt vanity, which, when coupled with her superb performance skills and fascination with dead bodies, makes for comedy. Eventually becoming a core part of the family, she succeeds in gaining the ladies respect by standing with them against Mother Buchanan.
- Eileen Heckart as "Mother" Emma Buchanan - A former aspiring doctor who was forced to raise her four sons alone after her husband left her, she uses this as a vehicle to fuel her manipulation and dislike of her daughters-in-law. While she is displayed as the hardened and merciless matriarch, her compassionate side is shown throughout the series, proving that under her tough exterior, she is ultimately a mother, something which all the women can relate to.
- John Getz as Roy Buchanan
- Mark Moses as Rev. Charles Buchanan
- Richard Poe as Ed Buchanan
- Paul Johansson as Jesse Buchanan (ep. 1)
- Tommy Hinkley as Jesse Buchanan (ep. 2-15)
Behind the scenes
The show was titled The Four Mrs. Buchanans in the original series pilot, either referring to only the daughters-in-law, or because Bree does not marry Jesse Buchanan until the end of the episode. One scene was re-shot with alternate jokes (and no major retooling) before the pilot aired as The 5 Mrs. Buchanans.
With an initial series order of 13 episodes, shortly after its premiere CBS announced it had given the series a five-episode pick-up. However, only 17 episodes were aired and are known to have been produced.
Eileen Heckart stated in an interview at the time that CBS had picked up more episodes of the show with the intention of moving it from Saturday nights, where it was faltering, to Mondays following Murphy Brown. The network ultimately changed its mind after ordering Cybill as a mid-season replacement, though the seventh episode of The 5 Mrs. Buchanans did air once in this timeslot as a "special preview" on October 31, 1994.