The 88 live in concert, 2009
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Associated acts||Ray Davies|
|Past members||Carlos Torres
The 88 are an American pop rock band from Los Angeles California. The Group consists of Keith Slettedahl (vocals and guitar), Adam Merrin (keyboards and vocals), Anthony Zimmitti (drums and percussion), and Todd O'Keefe (bass and vocals). Meeting in high school in Calabasas, California, Adam Merrin and Keith Slettedahl formed the band in 2002. The band's popularity grew from high profile song placements in video games, films, commercials, and popular TV shows.
From 2010-2012, the band toured and recorded with Kinks leader Ray Davies, serving as his opening act and backing Davies for his set. The band performed with Davies at The Royal Albert Hall in London in 2011.
Work with Ray Davies
In 2010, the band acted as the support act and back up band for Ray Davies on his American tour. For the next two years, the band performed with Davies, including performances at London's Royal Albert Hall and Japan's Fuji Rock Festival. The 88 performed with Davies and Elvis Costello at Clive Davis's pre-Grammy party in 2012. The band recorded with Davies at Konk Studios in London on Davies' duets album "See My Friends". The 88 played on "Long Way From Home" by Lucinda Williams and "Till the End of the Day" by Alex Chilton (Chilton's final recorded performance), as well as recording a version of David Watts with Davies. The band did a promotional tour for 'See My Friends' with Davies including performances on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and The Regis and Kelly show.
Television and film
The 88 wrote and performed "At Least It Was Here", the theme song for the television series Community. The band was also featured on the How I Met Your Mother episode "Best Prom Ever". The band co-scored the 2012 film Friends With Kids. The 88 appear on the soundtrack to the 2012 film The Lorax.
Members of the band are:
- Keith Slettedahl (vocals/guitar)
- Adam Merrin (piano/keyboards)
- Todd O'Keefe (bass guitar)
- Anthony Zimmitti (drums)
- Kind of Light (June 2003) EMK/Mootron Records
- Over and Over (September 2005) EMK/Mootron Records
- Not Only... But Also (October 2008) Island Records
- This Must Be Love (November 2009) 88 Records
- The 88 (September 2010) 88 Records
- Lorax official soundtrack (March 2012)
- Fortune Teller (June 2013) 88 Records
- No One Here (February 2010) 88 Records
- Actors (March 2012) 88 Records
- All I Want For Christmas Is You (November 2009) 88 Records
- Love Is The Thing (June 2009) 88 Records
- Video of live performance of "Nobody Cares" in the studios of Minnesota Public Radio's The Current hosted by Mary Lucia.
- Wood, Mikael (December 2008). "The 88 – Not Only...But Also". Spin 24 (12): 100. ISSN 0886-3032.