SBE Entertainment Group
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California, USA|
Number of employees
|Divisions||SLS Las Vegas|
Founded in 2002, SBE is a hospitality, real estate and entertainment company. Led by Chairman and CEO Sam Nazarian, the company owns hotels, restaurants, nightlife and real estate groups. SBE's partners include designer Philippe Starck, photographer Matthew Rolston, and chefs José Andrés, Katsuya Uechi and Danny Elmaleh.
SBE Hospitality Brands
SBE owns several Los Angeles nightclubs and venues.
In partnership with Philippe Starck and chefs Katsuya Uechi, José Andrés and Michael Mina has resulted in the restaurant Katsuya, with various locations in California. They have also extended their Katsuya brand to South Beach, Miami. In 2017 it is estimated that they will open 17 Katsuya locations in 2007. In addition to Katsuya, SBE has Gladstones, a seafood cuisine in Malibu and Cleo, a Mediterranean restaurant in their Redbury hotel in Hollywood. XIV, in partnership with Michael Mina, opened on the Sunset Strip in October 2008. SBE opened The Bazaar with José Andrés in the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills in 2008. SBE is also invested in hamburger chain Umami Burger.
Jordan Birnbaum invested in Vanguard Hollywood when it was initially started and known as Qtopia Events. Holding a ten year lease on Hollywood Boulevard, the company was publicly launched in June 2002, without a liquor licence and with the intention of being used as a recording studio by day. Qtopia Events was not successful and Birnbaum took over management and re-branded the company as Vanguard Hollywood. By 2004 Vanguard broke even and obtained a liquor licence. Over $40 million was generated over the next five years before Birnbaum sold Vanguard in 2009. The club was acquired by SBE and revamped in 2013. Later that year, SBE partnered with Insomniac Events and renamed the club Create.
The Abbey is a bar and nightclub in West Hollywood, California. Originally established as a local coffee shop in 1991 by David Cooley, the bar was eventually purchased by SBE. It is one of the highest tax revenue producing businesses in West Hollywood, California.
The Abbey has been featured in a number of television series of interest to the LGBT community, including being the venue of the Logo original series Wisecrack. The club and its owner, David Cooley, have also featured in the Logo series Open Bar and Jacob and Joshua: Nemesis Rising and the TV series The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency. Transgender actress Candis Cayne was featured in several lip-synch shows there in 2008.
In 2007, SBE acquired the Sahara Hotel & Casino. In February 2013 SBE head Sam Nazarian announced the groundbreaking for the $415 million conversion of the hotel into the SLS Las Vegas. It will contain 1,600 rooms, a casino, four nightclubs, a branch of Fred Segal and restaurants including The Bazaar by José Andrés, Katsuya by Starck and Umami Burger. The hotel opened August 23, 2014.
- "SBE Corporate".
- "The Bazaar at SLS Beverly Hills, Rendered".
- Gelt, Jessica (August 11, 2011). "Umami Burger's brand sizzles with SBE backing". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on June 7, 2013.
- Create Layout
- "Create Nightclub :: Los Angeles - Nightclub :: Insomniac Events - sbe.com". Nightlife. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- L.A. can party big, too, L.A Times, August 04, 2005
- "Jordan Birnbaum - Professional Career - Vanguard Hollywood Focus". Jordan Birnbaum. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "A revamped Vanguard aims to be front and center on L.A.'s EDM scene". latimes. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Insomniac and SBE announce new Hollywood EDM club Create". latimes. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Gay?" ~ Out Magazine in December 12, 2007.
- "West Hollywood Tax Revenue Q4 2012" Spring 2013.
- "Wharton Biography of Sam Nazarian".