The Act (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||Universal Cable Productions|
The first season follows "Gypsy Blanchard, a girl trying to escape the toxic relationship she has with her overprotective mother. Her quest for independence opens a Pandora’s box of secrets, one that ultimately leads to murder."
Cast and characters
- Patricia Arquette as Dee Dee Blanchard
- Joey King as Gypsy Blanchard
- Chloë Sevigny as Mel
- AnnaSophia Robb as Lacey
- Calum Worthy as Nick
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||TBA||Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre||TBA||March 20, 2019|
On July 21, 2017, it was announced that Hulu had put the production into development. The potential series was expected to be written by Michelle Dean and Nick Antosca based on Dean's BuzzFeed article "Dee Dee Wanted Her Daughter To Be Sick, Gypsy Wanted Her Mom To Be Murdered." Writ Large, who acquired the screen rights to the article in 2016, was set to produce. Production companies involved with the series include Universal Cable Productions.
On May 18, 2018, it was reported that Hulu had given the production a series order. It was further announced that Dean and Antosca would serve as co-showrunners and executive produce alongside Greg Shephard and Britton Rizzio. On August 1, 2018, it was announced that Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre would direct the series' first episode. On December 20, 2018, it was announced that the series would premiere on March 20, 2019.
In September 2018, it was announced that Patricia Arquette, Joey King, Chloë Sevigny, and AnnaSophia Robb had been cast in starring roles. On October 2, 2018, it was reported that Calum Worthy had joined the cast in a starring role.
- Petski, Denise (May 18, 2018). "Hulu Orders 'The Act' True-Crime Anthology Series From Nick Antosca & Michelle Dean". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "The Act - Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- Holloway, Daniel (August 1, 2018). "Universal Cable Productions Sets Four Female Pilot Directors (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (July 21, 2017). "True-Crime Anthology Series From Nick Antosca & Michelle Dean In Works At Hulu". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 18, 2018). "True Crime Anthology Series 'The Act' Set at Hulu". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- Schwartz, Dana (December 20, 2018). "Patricia Arquette is an obsessed mother in true-crime anthology 'The Act': First look". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 5, 2018). "Patricia Arquette To Star In Hulu True-Crime Anthology Series 'The Act'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 6, 2018). "'The Act': Joey King To Star In Hulu True-Crime Anthology Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (September 12, 2018). "'The Act': Chloë Sevigny & AnnaSophia Robb To Star In Hulu True-Crime Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (October 2, 2018). "'The Act': Calum Worthy To Star In Hulu's True-Crime Anthology Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Rigsby, G.G. (November 27, 2018). "Filming of Hulu true crime series may prompt ordinance". Savannah Morning News. Retrieved December 2, 2018.