The Adventures of Bob Hope
|The Adventures of Bob Hope|
Cover to issue #1 (February–March 1950)
|Publisher||National Periodical Publications|
|Number of issues||109|
The Adventures of Bob Hope is an American celebrity comics comic book series that was published by National Periodical Publications (an imprint of DC Comics). The series featured stories based on comedian Bob Hope, as well as assorted other humorous stories. The series ran for 109 issues from 1950 through 1968.
In the early 1950s, with sales for superhero themed comics on the decline, National Periodical Publications began licensing the right to use celebrity images, including Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Alan Ladd, and Bob Hope. Issue #1 (cover dated February–March 1950) set the tone for most of the 1950s. The lead story would feature Hope in a misadventure similar to his film roles; the back up stories tended to revolve around movie-related themes or characters. For example, issue #1 had a story on Rhonda Fleming, Hope's co-star in the 1949 film The Great Lover.
By the 1960s, sales for the Hope series began to flag. The editors attempted to add some contemporary humor by introducing the character Super-Hip in issue #95. Despite the changes, the series was canceled with issue #109 (March 1968).
Artists and writers
The first four issues featured photographs of Hope on the cover; subsequent covers were illustrated. Owen Fitzgerald was the original artist for the series. He was eventually replaced by Bob Oksner, who provided the majority of the artwork for the run of the series. Oksner was replaced by Neal Adams for the final four issues.
There were no story credits, though some sources credit Cal Howard with writing some early scripts. Beginning with issue #88 (Sept. 1964), Arnold Drake received a byline, and would go on to write most of the scripts for rest of the series run.
- Shaw, Scott. "The Adventures of Bob Hope #1". "Oddball Comics" (column), Comic Book Resources. Last accessed 4 April 2007. Dead link as of at least December 12, 2010
- Archive of Shaw, Scott, "Adventures of Bob Hope #99" "Oddball Comics" (column) #1022, Comic Book Resources,June 25, 2004. Last accessed 4 April 2007. Original page.
- Owen Fitzgerald at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics. Last accessed 4 April 2007.
- Robert Oksner at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics.
- Mort Drucker at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics.
- Adventures of Bob Hope, The #2 at the Grand Comics Database. Last accessed 4 April 2007.
- Arnold Drake at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics. Last accessed 4 April 2007.