The Adventures of Fatman
|The Adventures of Fatman|
|Engine||Adventure Game Studio|
The Adventures of Fatman was created by US independent studio SOCKO! Entertainment and released in May 2003. The game was designed by Michael Doak and produced using the popular freeware game creation software the Adventure Game Studio. Fatman was originally released as an independent commercial game, a first with AGS that has subsequently been followed by others such as The Shivah and Al Emmo. When Socko! Entertainment closed down in late 2003 they released the game under the freely distributed Creative Commons license (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives) as "Abandonware". In 2006 SOCKO! Entertainment has re-opened under the same name, and can be found at
www.socko1.com. A sequel has been announced and was slated for release winter of 2007. As of March 2008 no updated information has been posted. In October 2015 the game was re-released on Steam.
Story and gameplay
The game consists of the user playing as the eponymous Fatman, superhero protector of Shadowlawn, investigating an explosion at the ACNE chemical plant, and how exactly the CEO of Mary & Kate cosmetics was involved. The villain of the game is Toxicman, a mutated thug who has no apparent powers. The game features over 30 locations, and over 20 characters with 1,000 fully recorded lines of dialog, with an original soundtrack featuring over 50 tracks. The game also enables you to listen to an "Audio Commentary" while playing, for every location.
The game is mentioned as a good example of a game created with Adventure Game Studio in the book Gaming Hacks published by O'Reilly Media, has had numerous reviews, mostly favourable, received DIY Games award for 'Adventure game of the year', and 'Excellence in music', and was nominated for 'Overall game of the year'. It also won two AGS Awards.
- socko-entertainment.com (archived)
- Fatman on Steam (cited 18 January 2017)
- O Reilly's Gaming Hacks index: Adventures of Fatman cited 15 December 2006
- Fatman Review at Home of the Underdogs (cited 15 December 2006)
- adventuregamers.com review of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)
- justadventure.com review of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)
- quandaryland.com review of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)
- fourfatchicks.com review of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)
- gametunnel.com review of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)
- gameboomers.com review of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)
- adventure-archiv.de review of Fatman (English) (cited 13 December 2006)
- archive.org: DIY Games: 2003 Adventure Game of the year (cited 13 December 2006)
- archive.org: DIY Games: 2003 Excellence In Music & Sound cited 13 December 2006)
- archive.org: DIY Games: 2003 Game of the year (cited 13 December 2006)
- AGS games pages: The Adventures of Fatman (cited 13 December 2006)