The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok
|The Adventures of
Wild Bill Hickok
Andy Devine as Jingles
|Directed by||Wesley Barry
S. Roy Luby
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||113|
|Producer(s)||William F. Broidy|
John J. Martin
William A. Sickner
S. Roy Luby
|Running time||25 mins.|
|Production company(s)||Newhall Productions, William F. Broidy Productions|
|Distributor||Screen Gems (original)
Sony Pictures Television (current)
|Original release||April 15, 1951 – May 16, 1958|
The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok is an American Western television series which ran for eight seasons from 1951 through 1958. The Screen Gems series began in syndication, but ran on CBS from 1955 through 1958, and, at the same time, on ABC from 1957 through 1958. The Kellogg's cereal company was the show's national sponsor. The series was also exported to Australia during the late-1950s.
The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok starred Guy Madison as the legendary Old West lawman (in real life, also a gunfighter) United States Marshal James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok, and Andy Devine as his comedy sidekick, Jingles P. Jones.
During the 1950s, several episodes of the television show were spliced together and released as feature movies:
- The Ghost of Crossbones Canyon (1952)
- Behind Southern Lines (1952)
- Trail of the Arrow (1952)
- The Yellow Haired Kid (1952)
- Border City Rustlers (1953)
- Secret of Outlaw Flats (1953)
- Six Gun Decision (1953)
- Two Gun Marshal (1953)
- Marshals In Disguise (1954)
- Outlaw's Son (1954)
- Trouble on the Trail (1954)
- The Two Gun Teacher (1954)
- The Matchmaking Marshal (1955)
- Phantom Trails (1955)
- Timber Country Trouble (1955)
- The Titled Tenderfoot (1955)
- Mike Ragan appeared in three episodes, as Gus in "The Tax Collecting Story" as Collier in "Mexican Rustlers Story" (both 1951), and Malone in "The Doctor's Story" (1953).
- Carole Mathews appeared twice, first as Miss Jennings in "The Slocum Family" (1951) and then as Anne Hardy in "Blacksmith Story" (1952).
- Ewing Mitchell, as Mr. Harker in "Chain of Events" (1953)
- Gloria Saunders, as Sally Jones in "Boulder City Election" (1951)
- William Tannen, as Rand in "The Doctor's Story" (1953) and as Tom Maples in "The Maverick" (1954)
|1955||Emmy Award||Nominated||Best Western or Adventure Series|
- Brooks, Tim & Marsh, Earle (2007). The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946-Present (9th ed.). New York: Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-345-49773-4.
- The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok at the Internet Movie Database
- The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok at TV.com
- Behind-the-scenes production photos Collection of Stephen Lodge.
|This article relating to a drama television series in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|