This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Afters performing in April 2014
|Also known as||Blisse|
|Origin||Dallas, Texas, U.S.|
The Afters are a Christian pop rock band founded by Joshua Havens and Matt Fuqua. Havens and Fuqua first worked together in a Starbucks coffee shop in Mesquite, Texas, where they played for customers, before deciding to form a band. They added Brad Wigg and Marc Dodd, who were also employed at the same Starbucks, under their original name of Blisse. Their song "Never Going Back to OK" was the most-played song on R&R magazine's Christian CHR chart for 2008.
As a precursor to Blisse, Matt and Josh performed several shows around Dallas as The Screaming Mimes, a reference to a St. Francis of Assisi quote "Witness at all times. Sometimes use words." The songs during this period were largely the same as they would be performed and recorded as Blisse. While Brad was a founding member of the group, he took time away from the band to perform with his own blues project, playing lead guitar. Shows at the Door in Deep Ellum were filled in by Dallas bassist Eric Kitchens and bassist/filmmaker Niko Red Star.
Under the name Blisse, the band recorded a six-song EP in 2000. From this they made enough money to cut their first album, When the World Is Wonderful, which was released independently in 2001. This album contains songs also released on their major label debut album I Wish We All Could Win. In 2002 they released a live concert DVD filmed at a local Dallas club called The Door.
The band changed its name after discovering that another "Blisse" already existed. Settling on "The Afters", they continued to play local clubs in the Dallas area. They were eventually discovered by INO Records and signed to a four-record deal. After this, word of the band got to Epic Records, who signed the band to a deal for mainstream promotion and distribution. Their first major label album, I Wish We All Could Win, was released on February 22, 2005. The first single from the album was "Beautiful Love", written by Josh Havens about a time when his wife was abroad doing humanitarian aid. The single's music video led The Afters to a 2005 MTVu "Streaming Woodie" award. In addition, "Beautiful Love" became the theme song for the MTV show, 8th and Ocean about the life of female and male fashion models living in Miami, Florida. The song was also featured in the 2006 film, Just My Luck. The song "Until the World" was the theme song for the American drama television series that aired on the ABC Family Network Beautiful People.
In an update posted on their official website, the band went into the studio in August 2006 to start recording their second album, Never Going Back to OK. It was originally scheduled to be released on December 26, 2007 as per a post on their MySpace blog, but was ultimately delayed and released on February 26, 2008.
The first single from the album, the title track "Never Going Back to OK" premiered on October 16, 2007 on Total Axxess. It was also released as a streaming file on The Afters' MySpace page on November 10, 2007. The song hit the R&R magazine charts in December 2007. It reached No. 1 on the R&R CHR chart in March 2008 and R&R magazine ranked it as the most played song on U.S. Christian CHR radio in 2008.
The Afters stated in their Twitter account that they started recording their next album on October 27, 2009. The album, called Light Up the Sky, was released on September 14, 2010. The album's first single, the title track, has reached No. 1 on Billboard's Christian CHR radio, and also received an appearance on MTV's The Hills. In January 2011 The Afters joined the Rock And Worship Roadshow national tour headlined by MercyMe. Light Up the Sky was produced by Dan Muckala.
The Afters has announced they are creating a new album and on April 17, 2012 they released a new single entitled "Life is Beautiful" on iTunes, in which the song was part of the soundtrack for the movie October Baby. On February 19, 2013, a new single, "Every Good Thing", became available on iTunes. The new album's title was Life is Beautiful.
- Joshua Havens - lead vocals, keys and guitars
- Matt Fuqua - vocals and guitars
- Jordan Mohilowski - drums
- Dan Ostebo - bass guitar
- Brad Wigg - guitars, bass guitar and vocals
- Marc Dodd - drums
- Niko Red Star - bass guitar
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|When the World Is Wonderful||
|I Wish We All Could Win||
|Never Going Back to OK||
|Light Up the Sky||
|Life Is Beautiful||
|Live On Forever||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
Live albums and DVDs
- Live @ the Door (2002) (As Blisse)
- Never Going Back to OK - EP (2008)
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Beautiful Love"||2005||55||29||37||—||I Wish We All Could Win|
|"All That I Am"||2006||—||—||13||—|
|"Never Going Back to OK"||2008||—||—||16||—||Never Going Back to OK|
|"Keeping Me Alive"||—||—||—||—|
|"We Are the Sound"||—||—||—||—|
|"Light Up the Sky"||2010||—||—||1||17||Light Up the Sky|
|"Lift Me Up"||2011||—||—||3||—|
|"We Won't Give Up"||—||—||32||—|
|"Life Is Beautiful"||2012||—||—||—||—||Life Is Beautiful|
|"Every Good Thing"||2013||—||—||2||—|
|"Live on Forever"||2015||—||—||11||—||Live on Forever|
Awards and nominations
GMA Dove Awards
|2006||New Artist of the Year||Won|
|Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Beautiful Love")||Nominated|
|Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year (I Wish We All Could Win)||Nominated|
|2009||Song of the Year ("Never Going Back to OK")||Nominated|
|Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Never Going Back to OK")||Nominated|
|Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year (Never Going Back to OK)||Won|
|2016||Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year ("Live On Forever")||Nominated|
|Short Form Video of the Year (Live on Forever)||Won|
- 2008 Year End Charts/Top Christian CHR songs, R&R magazine, Retrieved January 6, 2009
- Never Going Back To OK by The Afters NewReleaseTuesday.com, retrieved February 2, 2008
- US. "The Afters". MySpace.com. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- March 8, 2008 R&R chart as reported at Weekend 22; Retrieved March 11, 2008.
- Tony Cummings (March 16, 2008). "The Afters: The Dallas pop rockers who are Never Going Back To OK". CrossRhythms.co.uk. Retrieved June 8, 2008.
- We officially started recording our new album today! by The Afters Twitter.com 2009
- Christian Sonic » The Afters – Light Up the Sky [Single] (2010) Christiansonic.net Retrieved June 14, 2010
- "Music News, September 2010: The Afters Land No. 1 Spot on iTunesŽ and CHR Radio As Band Prepares to Embark on the "Hungry For Love Tour" Sponsored by Food for the Hungry". Jesus Freak Hideout. September 22, 2010. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "MercyMe, Jars of Clay part of The Rock and Worship Road Show in Sioux City". Argus Leader. January 30, 2011. Retrieved February 5, 2011.
- Dan Muckala (February 2, 2008). "Dan Muckala - Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "The Afters Release New Single "Live On Forever"". CCM Magazine. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "The Afters - Who's coming to one of our shows on the "Time.." Facebook. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Members". The Afters. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Alternative Albums". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Top Christian Albums". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Timeline". Facebook. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "The Afters - Chart history: The Hot 100". Billboard. Billboard charts. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Christian Songs". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "The Afters - Chart history: Heatseekers Songs". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "JFH News: The Afters' Fifth Studio Album "Live On Forever" Set To Debut September 9, Available For Preorder Now". Jesusfreakhideout.com. July 26, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
|GMA's New Artist of the Year
Portable Sounds - TobyMac
|GMA for Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year
Never Going Back to OK