The Air Is on Fire (album)
|The Air Is on Fire|
|Soundtrack album by David Lynch|
|Genre||Dark ambient, electronic|
58:23 (original CD release)41:46 (vinyl reissue)
|Label||Strange World Music|
|David Lynch chronology|
The Air Is on Fire is a soundtrack album by David Lynch. The soundtrack, which was composed by Lynch and Dean Hurley, accompanied Lynch's exhibition of paintings, photographs, and drawings at Fondation Cartier pour l'Art Contemporain in Paris in 2007, titled as The Air Is on Fire. The soundtrack was released as a CD in 2007.
In an interview conducted by Arte Radio in 2007, Hurley used various phrases to describe the album's sound, which included "a large flashbulb paparazzi sound," "short drum machine phrases," "brief phrases of machines working," "dubbed industrial hip-hop," "characteristic winds," "punch-presses pitched down," "train mechanisms and large steel factory samples," and "metal structures that were welded together."
Marc Masters of Pitchfork gave the album a positive review. He compared the album's sound to the musical styles of Demdike Stare and the Haxan Cloak and stated: "Even at its densest, The Air Is on Fire is pretty simple sonically, which gives it a universal tone. It’s not about cutting-edge techniques or never-heard-before concoctions. It’s about using sound to tell a wordless story and evoke undefined emotions. On those counts, it succeeds thoroughly."
All songs written and performed by David Lynch and Dean Hurley.
- Untitled – 12:40
- Untitled – 6:50
- Untitled – 3:09
- Untitled – 3:56
- Untitled – 11:58
- Untitled – 6:37
- Untitled – 4:16
- Untitled – 8:52
- A side
- Untitled – 21:48
- B side
- Untitled – 19:58
- David Lynch – writing, performance, sound design, cover art
- Dean Hurley – writing, performance, recording, editing, mixing
- Hudson, Alex (April 2, 2014). "David Lynch's Record Store Day Reissue of 'The Air Is on Fire' Detailed". Exclaim!. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Pelly, Jenn (April 2, 2014). "Rare David Lynch Record The Air Is on Fire Reissued". Pitchfork. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "David Lynch releasing Record Store Day 12", will be "in coversation" at BAM this month". BrooklynVegan. April 8, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Gaar, Gillian G. (April 17, 2014). "Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney among Northwest artists featured on Record Store Day". The Seattle Times. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Masters, Marc (April 22, 2014). "David Lynch - The Air Is on Fire". Pitchfork. Retrieved April 23, 2014.