The Alan Dale Show
|The Alan Dale Show|
Alan Dale in 1948 at the beginning of the run for his TV show.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||15 minutes (DuMont)|
30 minutes (CBS)
|Original network||DuMont (1948)|
|Audio format||Monaural Stereo|
|Original release||August 10, 1948 –|
January 16, 1951
The Alan Dale Show was a musical variety show starring singers Alan Dale and Janie Ford and set in a record store. The program, produced and distributed by DuMont, premiered August 10, 1948, and aired Tuesday nights from 7:00-7:15 pm ET on most DuMont affiliates.
The network cancelled the series after a few months, but the series continued locally on DuMont's New York station WABD until March 1949. This show was reportedly the first DuMont series to use kinescopes for network broadcast.
In 1950, Alan Dale would go on to host a series on CBS which bore the same name as the DuMont series. From June to November 1950, the new Alan Dale Show aired on Friday nights at 11pm ET. Janie Ford did not star in the CBS version; musical accompaniment was provided by the Milt Green Trio, a trumpet/piano/guitar unit. The show would change to a weekly evening program by December of the year. The CBS version of The Alan Dale Show was cancelled on January 16, 1951.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1948-49 United States network television schedule
- Brooks, Tim & Marsh, Earle (1964). The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows (3rd ed.). New York: Ballantine. ISBN 0-345-31864-1
- Robert Shagawat, TV Recording Origins p. 34
- Brooks, Tim & Marsh, Earle (2007). The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946-Present (9th ed.). New York: Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-345-49773-4.
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004)
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1