The American Conservative
|Editor||Robert W. Merry|
|Publisher||Jon Basil Utley|
|Founder||Scott McConnell, Patrick Buchanan, and Taki Theodoracopulos|
|First issue||October 7, 2002|
|Based in||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
The American Conservative (TAC) is a bi-monthly journal of opinion published by the American Ideas Institute. It was founded in 2002 to advocate for what it holds to be the original conservative values of peace, community, and fiscal restraint, rather than the ideology of "war, every man for himself, and endless deficits and debt" that it believes was the result of the modern conservative movement. It is opposed to the "left-wing ideologies that ran rampant in the 20th century and the right-wing, but not conservative, reaction that has only exacerbated the destruction wrought by the left."
The American Conservative is non-partisan and "devoted to the conservative disposition, not the Republican Party." It advocates fiscal conservatism, traditionalism, civil liberties, communitarian positions on urban planning and the environment, and a realist foreign policy based on military restraint and the national interest. It is a heterogeneous publication, and incorporates a range of voices that align with its broad editorial stance.
The idea of The American Conservative was that there were enough who disagreed with mainstream conservatism—libertarians, paleoconservatives, and civil libertarian conservatives, among other dissenters—to warrant such a publication. While other conservative magazines like National Review and The Weekly Standard marched more or less in lockstep with the Bush Administration, The American Conservative argued for a different course—sometimes with greater ferocity than the major political magazines on the left.
Scott McConnell served as the magazine's first editor, followed by managing editor Kara Hopkins.
Before the 2006 midterm elections, The American Conservative urged its readers to vote for Democrats, saying, "It should surprise few readers that we think a vote that is seen—in America and the world at large—as a decisive “No” vote on the Bush presidency is the best outcome."
As of 2007, Buchanan and Taki ceased to be involved with the editorial operations of The American Conservative, although Buchanan remains on the board of its parent, the American Ideas Institute, and both continue to contribute columns. Ron Unz was named publisher in 2007. In 2011, Wick Allison became the magazine's publisher, followed in 2013 by Jon Basil Utley, the current publisher.
In 2010, Daniel McCarthy succeeded Kara Hopkins as editor. In September 2011, the magazine introduced an editorial redesign of its print publication, and in May 2012, a redesign of its website. In October 2014, Benjamin Schwarz, the former national and literary editor of The Atlantic, was named national editor of the magazine.
In November 2016, Robert W. Merry succeeded Daniel McCarthy as editor, with Lewis McCrary as Executive Editor and Kelley Beaucar Vlahos as Managing Editor.
The American Conservative has become one of the more dynamic spots on the political Web. Writers like Rod Dreher and Daniel Larison tend to be suspicious of bigness: big corporations, big government, a big military, concentrated power and concentrated wealth. Writers at that Web site, and at the temperamentally aligned Front Porch Republic, treasure tight communities and local bonds. They’re alert to the ways capitalism can erode community. Dispositionally, they are more Walker Percy than Pat Robertson.
Some notable contributors throughout the years at The American Conservative have included: Andrew Bacevich, Doug Bandow, Patrick Buchanan, Rod Dreher, Philip Giraldi, Peter Hitchens, Samuel P. Huntington, Jon Huntsman Jr., William S. Lind, John Mearsheimer, Rand Paul, Leon Hadar, Steve Sailer, and Jim Webb.
- http://www.theamericanconservative.com/masthead/ Masthead / The American Conservative
- "Who We Are". The American Conservative. 2017-02-28.
- Daniel Strauss: The American Conservatives Next Step Archived 2011-08-08 at the Wayback Machine. The Campus Progress, March 29, 2009.
- "GOP Must Go". The American Conservative. 2006-11-20.
- Epstein, Marcus, "The American Conservative, John Lukacs, and The Unnecessary Review," Archived 2009-08-21 at the Wayback Machine. TakiMag, May 24, 2008.
- "California Anti-Bilingual Proposition King Ron Unz to be Next Publisher of The American Conservative". The Washington Note. 2007-03-19.
- "The American Conservative Names Benjamin Schwarz National Editor".
- Salam, Reihan (2014-04-22). "Is It Racist to Date Only People of Your Own Race?". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- Reihan Salam: The Mark Sanford Revolution? The Atlantic, March 13, 2009.
- Brooks, David (2012-11-19). "The Conservative Future". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause".
- Official website
- "Buchanan's Takeoff" by Murray Polner, Columbia Journalism Review, January/February 2003.
- "Paleocon's Revenge" by Whitney Joiner. Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management, 1 September 2002.
- The American Conservative Crackup: Why I quit Pat Buchanan’s magazine by Alexander Konetzki, The Washington Monthly
- The American Conservative by J. Bradford DeLong, May 15, 2012.