The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders
|The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders|
British cinema poster for The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders
|Directed by||Terence Young|
Vittorio De Sica
|Music by||John Addison|
|Edited by||Frederick Wilson|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$2,000,000 (US/ Canada rentals)|
The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders is a 1965 British historical comedy film directed by Terence Young and starring Kim Novak, Richard Johnson and Angela Lansbury. It is based on the 1722 novel Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.
In the 18th Century, an orphan, Moll Flanders, grows up to become a servant for the town's mayor, who has two grown sons. Moll is seduced and abandoned by one, then marries the other, a drunken sot who dies, making her a young widow.
Moll is employed by Lady Blystone to be a servant. She meets a bandit, Jemmy, who mistakes her for the lady of the house and begins to woo her, pretending to be a sea captain. Moll rebuffs the advances of Lady Blystone's actual lover, the Count, only to be fired from her job when they are spotted together.
A banker marries Moll but quickly loses her when a gang of thieves spirits her away. Moll ends up in jail and finds Jemmy there as well. Their execution is at hand when the banker, finding her there, dies of a sudden heart attack. Now a wealthy widow, Moll buys freedom for herself and her true love, and she and Jemmy have a shipboard wedding.
- Kim Novak - Moll Flanders
- Claire Ufland - Young Moll
- Richard Johnson - Jemmy
- Angela Lansbury - Lady Blystone
- Leo McKern - Squint
- Vittorio De Sica - The Count
- George Sanders - The Banker
- Lilli Palmer - Dutchy
- Peter Butterworth - Grunt
- Noel Howlett - Bishop
- Dandy Nichols - Orphanage Superintendent
- Cecil Parker - The Mayor
- Barbara Couper - The Mayor's wife
- Daniel Massey - Elder Brother
- Derren Nesbitt - Younger Brother
- Ingrid Hafner - Elder Sister
- June Watts - Younger Sister
- Anthony Dawson - Officer of Dragoons
- Judith Furse - Miss Glowber
Kim Novak took a three year break from motion pictures after this film, returning to the screen in 1968's The Legend of Lylah Clare. Co-stars Novak and Richard Johnson married in March 1965. The lead role was originally considered for Diane Cilento who had gathered critical acclaim from her role in Tom Jones but she had other commitments. Had Cilento appeared in the film Sean Connery would have played the male lead.
The productions filmed in Kent at Chilham - the square doubles as the village where Moll grew up, Chilham Castle features as the Mayor’s House and St Mary’s Church is used for the scenes where Moll marries Younger Brother.
The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders was one of the 13 most popular films in the UK in 1965.
- This figure consists of anticipated rentals accruing distributors in North America. See "Top Grossers of 1965", Variety, 5 January 1966 p 36
- "The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders (1965)". bfi: Film & TV Database. British Film Institute. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Kent Film Office. "Kent Film Office The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders Article".
- "Most Popular Film Star." Times [London, England] 31 Dec. 1965: 13. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 16 Sept. 2013.