This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)
|The Andy Williams Show|
|Written by||John Aylesworth, Frank Peppiatt|
|Presented by||Andy Williams|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company||Barnaby Productions|
|Original release||1962 –|
The Andy Williams Show was an American television variety show that ran from 1962 to 1971 (alternating during the summer of 1970 with Andy Williams Presents Ray Stevens) and had a short-lived run in syndication beginning in the fall of 1976. It was hosted by singer Andy Williams.
The Andy Williams Show featured a number of regular performers including:
- Dick Van Dyke (1958)
- The New Christy Minstrels (1962-1962)
- The Osmond Brothers (1962-1971)
- Jonathan Winters (1965-1967, 1970-1971)
- The Good Time Singers (1963-1966)
- Professor Irwin Corey (1969-1970)
- Ray Stevens (1969-1971)
- The Lennon Sisters (1970-1971)
- Charlie Callas (1970-1971)
- Janos Prohaska (The Cookie Bear) (1969-1971)
The first series began as a summer replacement on CBS in 1959. The weekly year-round series premiered on NBC in 1962, where it ran until 1967, when William reduced his workload to three specials a year. He returned to having a weekly series from 1969 through 1971.
When the show debuted, it was tailored to Williams's pop music stylings and aimed at adult viewers. Although generally categorized as a musical variety show, it was also popular in part for its comedy skits. During its five-year run on NBC, the show drew respectable ratings, although it never made the list of top-thirty programs.
In 1967, Williams decided to cut back to three specials per year. However, two years later he returned to weekly television in a revised format that included rock and roll acts and psychedelic lighting.
Five years after his second weekly run at NBC had ended, Williams tried his hand at a half-hour weekly variety show, this time in syndication. But it lasted only one season (1976–1977).
Awards and nominations
|1963||Outstanding Variety Series||The Andy Williams Show||Won|||
|1963||Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Musical Program or Series||Andy Williams||Nominated|||
List of guest stars
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows 1946 – Present (first edition), pages 29-30, Ballantine, 1979
- The Andy Williams Show (TV Series 1962–1969) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-01-14
- 1963 Emmys Variety Program
- 1963 Emmys - Performance in Variety Program