The Angel of Darkness
First edition cover
|Publisher||Random House Inc|
|Media type||Print (hardcover, paperback)|
|LC Class||PS3553.A76277 A85 1997b|
|Preceded by||The Alienist (1994)|
|Followed by||Surrender, New York|
The Angel of Darkness is a 1997 crime novel by Caleb Carr that was published by Random House (ISBN 0-7515-2275-9) and is both a sequel to The Alienist (1994) and the second book in the Kreizler series.
The now-adult Stevie Taggert, a tobacconist, makes a bet with an elderly John Moore that he can write the story of one of their adventures together as well as Moore (a former newspaper reporter) could.
Set in 1897, Dr. Laszlo Kreizler's associate, Sara Howard, now a private detective, comes to him for help in locating Ana Linares, the kidnapped infant daughter of a visiting Spanish dignitary. The mystery is complicated by rising tensions between Spain and the United States, and war in Cuba seems inevitable. Kreizler re-convenes his old "team": Sara; John; NYPD detectives and forensic specialists Marcus and Lucius Isaacson; and Kreizler's faithful servants, Stevie and Cyrus. Their search for the missing child leads them to contact with an enigmatic woman with a murderous past, who enjoys the protection of the Hudson Dusters, a notorious gang.
Historical figures in the novel
- Cecilia Beaux
- Clarence Darrow
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Albert Pinkham Ryder
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
- Cornelius Vanderbilt II
- William Alanson White
In other media
In 2018, TNT released The Alienist, a ten-episode limited series first aired as a sneak peek on January 21, 2018, before its official premiere on January 22, 2018, and ended on March 26, 2018, based on the novel of the same name by Caleb Carr. The series stars Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans, and Dakota Fanning as an ad hoc team assembled in mid-1890s New York City to investigate a serial killer of street children.
On August 16, 2018, TNT ordered a sequel series based upon the follow-up novel The Angel of Darkness.
- Macintyre, Ben (October 12, 1997). "Gaslight". The New York Times.
- Lehmann-Haupt, Christopher (September 29, 1997). "'The Angel of Darkness': Pursuing a Mysterious Kidnapper in Old New York". The New York Times.
- Megan Vick (January 11, 2018). "TNT's The Alienist Doesn't Have to Be a Limited Series". TV Guide. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- Cynthia Littleton (January 12, 2018). "The Alienist Premiere Brings Gilded Touch to Paramount Backlot". Variety. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
...the long-awaited limited series adaptation of 'The Alienist'.
- Sean T. Collins (March 26, 2018). "The Alienist Series Finale Recap: 'His Awful Mystery'". The New York Times. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- Nemetz, Dave (August 16, 2018). "The Alienist Sequel Angel of Darkness Ordered at TNT, Lead Cast to Return". TVLine. Retrieved August 16, 2018.