AWC Fine Wine
|Headquarters||Caroline House, 55-57 High Holborn, London, England|
AWC Fine Wine is a global wine merchant specialising in fine and rare wines, based in London with offices in Hong Kong and the Philippines. Formerly The Antique Wine Company, AWC Fine Wine was founded by Stephen Williams in 1990 and has over 20,000 clients in 70 countries. The company specialises in exceptionally fine wine and currently holds over 10,000 bottles of the world's finest vintages in its cellars. The company is known for record-breaking wine collections and bespoke wine related services and fine wine events. Its range of services includes: sourcing rare wines, private wine master classes and a full range of bespoke cellar services from conception to management.
Grand Chateau Series
Together with cabinet maker David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon, AWC Fine Wine created the Grand Chateau Series. These handcrafted wine cabinets with architectural models of the top nine chateaux in Bordeaux each contain 18 bottles from the corresponding estate, produced during the 20th and 21st centuries. The Château d'Yquem model is accompanied by a vertical collection of Chateau d’Yquem, spanning 141 consecutive vintages starting from 1868. This collection also includes several letters and memorabilia from the Château archives. It is valued at £1m. The other chateaux are each priced at £149,000. In 2006 The Antique Wine Company sold a 135-year vertical collection (containing every vintage from 1860 to 2003) for $1.5 million, one of the highest prices ever paid for a single lot of wine.
World Record Wine
In July 2011, AWC Fine Wine broke the world record of the most valuable bottle of white wine ever sold. The bottle was an 1811 Chateau d'Yquem and was sold for £75,000 to former sommelier Christian Vanneque. The bottle was for display in one of Mr Vanneque's two restaurants in Bali, the SIP Sunset Grill. But ultimately Mr Vanneque planned to drink his purchase. "I will never resell it, I'm not a fancy collector. I'm not rich. I work very hard. This is important that it's not connected to investing. I'm a sommelier. Wine is for drinking."
Hospices de Beaune
In November 2011, AWC Fine Wine purchased the top lot at the Hospices de Beaune wine auction in Beaune, France. Known as La Pièce de la Président, the lot consisted of 460 litres of Corton red wine from the Clos du Roi Grand Cru vineyard. The lot was auctioned off by actor Christian Clavier and model Inès de la Fressange for €110,000.
- David Linley (2010). "The Grand Chateau Series".
- Riviera Radio (2010). "The Antique Wine Company".
- Scene Asia, the Wall Street Journal (8 November 2010). "David Linley's $240,000 'Chateau' Cabinets". The Wall Street Journal.
- Bornrich.org (2010). "The Antique Wine Company unveils million dollar architectural wine cabinets". London.
- vinfolio.com, The Wine Collector, 1860-2003 vertical of Yquem sells for $1.5 million
- Independent (27 July 2011). "A £75,000 bottle of wine – but the cork stays put". The Independent. London.
- Guardian (26 July 2011). "Bottle bank: world's most expensive white wine sold for £75,000". The Guardian. London.
- Evening Standard (2011). "Single bottle of white wine sells for record £75,000".
- Decanter (22 November 2011). "Prices down at Hospices de Beaune". Decanter Magazine. London.
- Harpers (22 November 2011). "Antique Wine Company scores top lot at Burgundy auction". Harpers. London.