The Army Rumour Service
Type of site
|Created by||The COs|
|Alexa rank||116,399 (April 2014[update])|
The Army Rumour Service (ARRSE) is a commercial internet forum sometimes promoting itself as an unofficial British Army website. Known colloquially as ARRSE—from "ARmy Rumour SErvice"—the site styles itself as the unofficial voice of the British Army. It gets more than 5 million page hits per month and has been quoted by the mainstream news and national press, and mentioned in a debate on service voting in the House of Lords. It supports various charities.
The aim of the website is to provide a useful, informative and amusing site for people with an interest in the British Army. Users can expect to find both reasoned argument and general chatter within the site.
The site is predominantly based around an internet forum although does have other sections. These include a gallery for uploading pictures and a review section which reviews various military themed items, such as books and equipment.
The ARRSEPedia. is a somewhat irreverent military encyclopedia using MediaWiki. In their own words "The content is humorous, serious, sensible, stupid, decent and just occasionally a touch offensive."·
The site is owned by Olive Net Limited.
- The ARRSE site
- Rear Party - the site for spouses, partners and 'significant others' of serving British servicemen and women
- Rum Ration - the sister site to ARRSE for members of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines
- ArmyNET - the British Army's official secure online information exchange service
- MODoracle Ministry of Defence/British forces unofficial online community
- E-Goat - The RAF unofficial rumour network site and forums