The Ascension (2face Idibia album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||July 21, 2014|
|2face Idibia chronology|
|Singles from The Ascension|
The Ascension is the sixth studio album by Nigerian singer 2face Idibia. It was released on July 21, 2014, by Hypertek Digital and 960 Music Group. It is the follow up to his fifth studio album, Away and Beyond (2012). The album features guest appearances from Machel Montano, Vector, Bridget Kelly, Rocksteady, Dammy Krane, Sir Victor Uwaifo, Iceberg Slim, Kim Almarcha, Shurwayne Winchester and Fally Ipupa. 2face enlisted Leriq, Alton Berti, Bolji Beats, Dezay, Dnyce, Fabio Litto, Femdouble, G$Ol, Jay Sleek, Kodjo, Masterkraft and Rolly to produce the album.
The album debuted at number 12 on the Billboard World Album chart, and received generally mixed reviews from music critics. By having an album debut on the aforementioned chart, 2face became the first Nigerian artist to achieve this feat. The album produced three singles, two of which were released in the months leading up to the album's release. To promote the album, 960 Music Group placed outdoor billboards across 10 densely populated areas of Lagos.
Background and composition
2face began recording the album in 2013. 960 Music Group said, in a press release, that the album would be released on July 21, 2014. The album was eventually released in two versions: economy and premium. The premium version of the album includes a Jewel case with 16-page insert, and is available exclusively at Konga.com. The economy (or digital version) of the album is available for digital download on Spinlet, iTunes and Spotify. The album's cover art was conceptualized and designed by Janne Kukka and Mole "Tobbie" Balogun.
The music of The Ascension is predominantly R&B and afropop, with the exception of soca, zouk and highlife. The album consists of songs whose tempo is naturally fast or slow. 2face dedicated the electro house record, "#Aproko", to social media critics. On "Jeje", he samples African China's "Mr. President" and pays homage to afrobeat of the 70s. The songs "International Loving" and "Diaspora Woman" both have elements of zouk. Soca's rhythm is evident on the records "Boulay Boulay" and "Go", both of which features two prominent Trinidadian musicians. "Hate What You Do To Me" is a slow tempo ballad with a sensitive theme. "Kiss Of Life" is another slow tempo ballad with soft lyrics.
Snippet release and album launch
On July 9, 2014, 2face released a 30-second clip of all the songs on the album. On July 19, 2014, he held The Ascension album launch party at the Escape in Victoria Island, Lagos. Guests in attendance included Olamide, Tiwa Savage, Niyola, Sasha P, Fade Ogunro, BOJ, Dammy Krane, Tola Odunsi, Ono Bello, Ehiz, Pucado, Jermaine Jackson, Peter Okoye, Onos O and Ruby. On July 23, 2014, MTV Base (in conjunction with Industry Nite) hosted an album launch party for 2face.
"Ife Dinma" was released as the album's lead single on November 6, 2013. It was initially released as a Tony Oneweek single, but surprisingly made the album. The song, produced by Masterkraft, was accompanied by a music video directed by Clarence Peters.
On May 26, 2014, "Let Somebody Love You" was released as the album's second single. The song was produced by Femi Femdouble and features vocals from Bridget Kelly. The music video for the song, shot and directed in Lagos by Luke Biggins, was uploaded onto YouTube on June 20, 2014. In April 2014, 2face and Bridget Kelly performed the song during Star Music Trek's visit to Markudi.
"Go" was released as the album's third single on June 26, 2014. It features guest vocals from Trinidadian soca singer Machel Montano. In June 2014, both artists performed the song at the 18th annual St. Kitts Music Festival. The music video for "Go" was released by 960 Music on December 5, 2014, and features cameo appearances from Seyi Shay and Niyola.
"Diaspora Woman" was released as the album's fourth single on October 23, 2014. Its music video was filmed in Dallas by Moe Musa. Ghanaian actress Juliet Ibrahim played the role of 2face's love interest in the video.
|Nigerian Entertainment Today|
The Ascension received generally mixed reviews from music critics. Chiagoziem Onyekwena of Nigeria Entertainment Today gave the album 3 out 5 stars, adding: "I know 2Face set out to make a forward or upward moving album on Ascension but what he really has done is move sideways, at best. That isn’t bad in itself, just not the genre-bending, boundary-crossing, revolutionary album it had the potential to be."
Brandon Bridges of Lobatan commended the album's songwriting, diverse sounds, instrumentation, and energetic appeal. He specifically said that 2face's "story telling mechanism is so acute that as you listen intently, with vivid imaginations provided, you are only aware that he is singing due to the catchy melody. All 17 songs have active instrumentals that suggest particular care and attention given to their productions."
|1.||"Go" (featuring Machel Montano)||3:31|
|4.||"Cant Hear You" (featuring Vector)||3:43|
|5.||"The Best I Can Be" (featuring Iceberg Slim and Rocksteady)||JaySleek||5:28|
|6.||"Let Somebody Love You" (featuring Bridget Kelly)||Femdouble||4:11|
|7.||"Kiss Of Life"||Innocent Idibia||3:45|
|8.||"Hate What You Do To Me"||Innocent Idibia||3:54|
|9.||"Confessions" (featuring Rocksteady and Dammy Krane)||4:33|
|10.||"Close To Where You Are"||Innocent Idibia||3:41|
|11.||"International Loving" (featuring Kim Almarcha)||4:02|
|12.||"Boulay Boulay" (featuring Shurwayne Winchester)||3:13|
|13.||"Diaspora Woman" (featuring Fally Ipupa)||2:23|
|15.||"Lesse Passe" (featuring Sir Victor Uwaifo)||3:58|
|16.||"Ife Dinma" (with Tony Oneweek)||Masterkraft||4:46|
|17.||"Not A Surprise"||Innocent Idibia||2:40|
- Sampling credits
- "Jeje" samples African China's "Mr. President"
Credits adapted from linear notes of The Ascension.
- Innocent Idibia - Main artist, writer, performer
- Efe Omorogbe - A&R, executive producer
- Eric Idiahi - Executive producer
- Mark Redguard - Co executive producer
- Machel Montano - Featured artist, writer
- Olanrewaju Ogunmefun - Featured artist, writer
- Bridget Kelly - Featured artist, writer
- Rocksteady - Featured artist, writer
- Oyindamola Emmanuel - Featured artist, writer
- Sir Victor Uwaifo - Featured artist, writer
- Iceberg Slim - Featured artist, writer
- Kim Almarcha - Featured artist, writer
- Shurwayne Winchester - Featured artist, writer
- Fally Ipupa - Featured artist, writer
- Femi "Femidouble" Ojetunde - Producer, engineer
- Olubunmi "GSol" Afolabi - Producer, engineer
- Precision Productions and Advokit Productions - Producer, engineer
- Leriq - Producer, engineer
- Jay Sleek - Producer
- Masterkraft - Producer
- Rolly - Producer
- Bolaji "Bolji Beats" Salabiu - Producer, engineer
- Dnyce - Producer, engineer
- Alton Berti - Producer, engineer
- Fabio Lancel - Producer
- Franck "Kodjo" Kpanku - Producer
- Michael "Dezay" Badibanji - Producer
- Fooster Zeno - Engineer
- Willie "O" Oputa Chukwuemeka - Engineer, production coordination
- Jeremie Tuil - Engineer
- Pieter Wagner - Engineer
- Janne Kukka - Cover art
- TCD Photography - Photography
- Rhiemen Phenom Omorogbe - Production coordination
- Francis J Ogbole - Production coordination
- Bayo Omisore - Production coordination
- 960 Music Group - PR Support
- Buzz Warehaus - PR Support
- Felicia Alston - PR Support
- Now Muzik Entertainment - Management
- Obaino Music - Distribution
- YSG Hubs - Distribution
- Konga.com - Distribution
- Spinlet - Distribution
|Billboard's World Album chart||12|
|iTunes||July 21, 2014||Standard|
- "Nigeria: At Last, 2Face Releases the Ascension". allAfrica via The Daily Independent. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Ife Din Mma - Single by 2face Idibia". itunes.apple.com. iTunes. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Let Somebody Love You (feat. Bridget Kelly) - Single by 2face Idibia". itunes.apple.com. iTunes. 26 May 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "2face Idibia – GO ft. Machel Montano". NotjustOk. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Oyedeji, Abiola (6 July 2014). "2face ready to 'Go' with 'Ascension' album". Nigerian Tribune. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "The Ascension by 2face Idibia". itunes.apple.com. iTunes. 21 July 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "2Face Idibia's album "The Ascension" makes it into The Billboard Top Selling Albums List!". Bongo 2 Day. 1 August 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Akan, Joey (31 July 2014). "2face Idibia's 'The Ascension' Album Is Currently The 12th Top Selling Album In The World". Pulse. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Okuyeme, Tony (18 July 2014). "960 Music Group set to release 2Face Idibia's The Ascension". New Telegraph. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Nwanne, Chuks (19 July 2014). "Tuface Idibia's The Ascension Gets Release Date". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Onyekwena, Chiagoziem (30 July 2014). "2face's 'The Ascension' isn't bad, just not boundary-crossing [Album Review]". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Bridges, Brandon (24 July 2014). "The 4 undeniable truths about 2Face's "Ascension": Album Review". Lobatan. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "2Face Idibia releases Snippet from "The Ascension" 17-Track Album – Listen Now!". Bellanaija. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "2Face Idibia releases Snippet from "The Ascension" 17-Track Album". Ghana Web. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Nigerians Relish 2face's the Ascension". allAfrica via The Daily Independent. 31 July 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "New Video: 2Face Idibia Feat. Tony Oneweek – Ife Di Nma". Bellanaija. 7 November 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Klein, Alyssa (23 June 2014). "2face Idibia & Bridget Kelly's 'Let Somebody Love You' Video". OkayAfrica. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Alonge, Osagie (13 April 2014). "Jay Z's protégé Bridget Kelly in Nigeria, records with 2face Idibia". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "2Face Performs "GO" live at St. Kitts Music Festival". The Nigerian Tribune. 3 August 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "VIDEO PREMIERE: 2Face Idibia – GO Ft. Machel Montano". 360nobs. 5 December 2015. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Ade-Unuigbe, Desola (23 October 2014). "New Video: 2face Idibia feat. Fally Ipupa – Diaspora Woman". Bellanaija. Retrieved 9 February 2015.