The Ascent (Secrets album)
|Studio album by Secrets|
|Released||January 16, 2012|
|Singles from The Ascent|
The Ascent is the debut studio album by American post-hardcore band Secrets released on January 16, 2012 through Velocity and Rise Records. The album debuted at number 3 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart, as well as the Billboard 200 at number 185. It is the only release to include original vocalist Xander Bourgeois before his departure in 2013.
Shortly after being signed to Velocity/Rise the band began working with ex-A Day to Remember lead guitarist Tom Denney for their debut album. In an interview with Rock Edition singer Richard Rogers noted that they had originally intended to release a 5 to 6 song EP. The record label suggested that they instead release a full-length album, and brought in Denney to assist. In order to afford the recording of this album, Secrets camped in a tent in a car park for 1 whole month.
Release and promotion
The first single was "The Heartless Part", released November 22, 2011. The band then released several music videos over the next year for "The Oath", "Blindside", and "Somewhere in Hiding". The band toured extensively after the release to promote the album. They were on the entire 2012 Scream It Like You Mean It Tour, with label mates Hands Like Houses and In Fear and Faith. They also supported Escape the Fate on their This World Is Ours tour in 2012. They also toured as supporting acts for fellow Rise artists Sleeping with Sirens, Abandon All Ships and Conditions. Prior to this, they toured with Jamie's Elsewhere and Oh, Sleeper.
|Under The Gun||(7/10)|
The album was met with mostly mixed reviews. Grace Duffy of Under the Gun wrote that "There is a consistent air of indecision to The Ascent that costs it a few points, as its frequent shapeshifting doesn’t always flatter the end result. It is nonetheless a hearty and ambitious effort and a compelling listen, strikingly good at best and entertaining even at worst."  Other reviewers noted that while the overall sound was quite catchy and had unique vocals, that the lyrics were somewhat generic and lacking in creativity.
|3.||"Somewhere in Hiding"||3:18|
|4.||"The Heartless Part"||3:51|
|7.||"The Best You Can't Be"||3:19|
|9.||"The Hardest Part"||3:46|
|10.||"You Look Good in Plastic"||2:50|
- Xander Bourgeois – unclean vocals
- Richard Rogers – rhythm guitar, clean vocals
- Michael Sherman – lead guitar
- Marc Koch – bass guitar
- Joe English – drums
- Tom Denney – engineer, mixing, producer
- Billy Candler - Management
- Will Putney - Mastering
- Glenn Thomas - Artwork
|U.S Billboard Top Heatseekers||3|
|U.S. Billboard 200||185|
|U.S. Billboard Top Hard Rock||12|
|U.S. Billboard Top Independent||25|
|U.S. Billboard Top Rock||35|
- Duncan, Michael (January 23, 2012). "Interview with Richard Rogers of Secrets". Rock Edition. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Protomanni, Lauren (June 26, 2012). "Interview with Secrets vocalist Xander Bourgeois and drummer Joe English". PureGrainAudio.com. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Heaney, Gregory. Secrets - The Ascent album review at AllMusic
- Daly, Brooke (February 28, 2012). "Secrets: "The Ascent" Album Review!". Infectious Magazine. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Roth, Kaj (January 16, 2012). "Secrets - The Ascent review". Melodic.net. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Duffy, Grace (January 18, 2012). "REVIEW: SECRETS – THE ASCENT". Under The Gun Magazine. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Secrets - The Ascent credits at AllMusic