Author Meets the Critics
|Author Meets the Critics|
|Created by||Phyllis Adams Jenkins|
|Presented by||John McCaffery
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||24–26 minutes|
|Original network||NBC (1948, 1951)
|Original release||April 4, 1948– October 10, 1954|
Author Meets the Critics was an American talk show which was broadcast by the National Broadcasting Company, American Broadcasting Company, and the DuMont Television Network. The series began as a mid-season replacement on NBC on April 4, 1948, but was transferred to ABC during 1949. The show was transferred back to NBC during 1951, and then to DuMont from January 10, 1952 to October 10, 1954.
On the series, two critics debated a recently published book, one in favor and the other against. Later, the author of the book appeared to meet the critics.
John K. M. McCaffery was the moderator from 1948 to 1951. Faye Emerson had a brief stint as moderator during 1952, during which the show was transferred to prime time. Virgilia Peterson was the moderator during the DuMont run from 1952 to 1954, when the show was broadcast Thursdays at 10pm EST.
The DuMont episodes of the series were produced by Phyllis Adams Jenkins (1923-2004), a pioneer in providing serious programming intended for daytime television audiences. She later produced other series, including What's the Problem?, the daytime series Home featuring Arlene Francis during the 1950s, and Dinah Shore's daytime series during the 1960s.
On his series, Ernie Kovacs parodied it as "Author Heats the Critics", with the author attacking the critics, rather than the other way around.
As with most DuMont series, not many episodes of the DuMont version are known to survive. The March 27, 1949 episode of original NBC version of the series is preserved from kinescope recordings at the Paley Center for Media in New York City.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1
- Dunning, John. (1998). On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-507678-3. P. 51.