The Autumn Offering
|The Autumn Offering|
|Origin||Daytona Beach, Florida, United States|
|Genres||Melodic death metal, metalcore|
|Years active||1999–2010 (hiatus)|
|Past members||Matt McChesney
The Autumn Offering is an American metalcore band that formed in Daytona Beach, Florida in 1999. After achieving some degree of local success, the band was signed to Stillborn Records, founded by Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed, in 2003. The band released one album through this label. The Autumn Offering later signed to Victory Records in 2005 and have since then released four studio albums.
- 1 History
- 2 Band members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Music videos
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Formation and debut album (1999–2004)
The Autumn Offering was formed in 1999 while all the members were still in high school and by 2003, they had completed several regional tours and self-booked US tours. Hatebreed vocalist Jamey Jasta took notice of the band, and signed them to his own Stillborn Records in December 2003. The Autumn Offering released their debut album Revelations of the Unsung on July 27, 2004 through Stillborn.
Signing to Victory Records and second album (2005–2006)
In 2005, founding member and lead guitarist George Moore parted ways with the band and was soon after replaced by Tommy Church, guitarist from End of All, which later became known as Killwhitneydead. The Autumn Offering signed to Victory Records in September 2005. Their first release through the label was a reissue of their debut album in early 2006, which was followed by their second studio album Embrace the Gutter on May 16, 2006. Embrace the Gutter was recorded with Jason Suecof (Chimaira, Trivium) at Audiohammer Studios.
New vocalist and Fear Will Cast No Shadow (2007–2008)
After completing Embrace the Gutter and a few national tours, singer Dennis Miller quit the band to pursue a normal life. The band continued on and eventually chose good touring friend Matt McChesney from Hell Within to replace him. The band also separated with original drummer Nick Gelyon in the studio during the recording of Embrace the Gutter. He was replaced by Brian Sculley soon after.
The band's next album, Fear Will Cast No Shadow was released on October 30, 2007 with new singer Matt McChesney.
The Autumn Offering entered the studio on February 1, 2009 to begin recording Requiem at AudioHammer Studios with Mark Lewis. Recording was finished by March 2009, and the album was later released on June 9, 2009 through Victory Records. A music video for the song "The Curtain Hits the Cast" from Requiem was released.
For the band's fourth studio album, The Autumn Offering took their music in a heavier direction contrasting the more pop and melody driven Fear Will Cast No Shadow. The album was described by the band as a more "mature" album featuring "longer songs, complex rhythms, and dynamic vocals." Further distancing themselves from their previous album, vocalist Matt McChesney wrote darker lyrics about substance abuse and being raised in a broken home, as opposed to songs about relationships. The song "Narcosis" is about McChesney's experience of being revived with an adrenaline shot after snorting heroin and cocaine at the same time.
The Autumn Offering (2010)
For the band's fifth studio album, The Autumn Offering recruited two members: guitarist Jesse Nunn of Silent Civilian and Scum of the Earth who replaced Matt Johnson, and bassist Carl Bensley of Instinct Of Aggression who replaced Mike Poggione.
The Autumn Offering was released on August 31, 2010 through Victory Records.
As of November 2010, The Autumn Offering has decided to go on an indefinite hiatus. It is unclear whether or not this hiatus is a disbandment of the band or if they will continue. But it was clear that they were being pushed too hard and did not want to work under harsh conditions that their label was providing.
On January 21, 2011, The Autumn Offering had announced on their Myspace page that they will be reuniting for a West Coast tour. These dates have yet to be announced but will be specifically Western cities only.
Guitarist Tommy Church and drummer Brian Sculley are starting a new project that has yet to be named. They have not been replaced but Matt McChesney, Jesse Nunn and Carl Bensley have called their friends Jonny Santos and Phil to temporarily fill in for them while they finish their side project in upcoming months.
Matt McChesney is currently working on a side project as well. He started another band called Seven Days After, which has since disbanded.
As of April 2011 Tommy Church has released the name of his new project named Tenafly Viper. Their debut album will be released in fall of 2011.
Tommy Church has now officially joined Mushroomhead as Church, playing mainly guitar.
- Current members
- Carl Bensley – bass guitar (2010)
- Tommy Church – guitars (2005–2010)
- Matt McChesney – vocals (2007–2010)
- Jesse Nunn (Saint) – guitars (2010)
- Brian Sculley – drums (2008–2010)
- Former members
- Nick Gelyon – drums (1999–2008)
- Matt Johnson – guitars (1999–2010)
- Dennis Miller – vocals (1999–2007)
- Tony Cesaro – guitars (1999–2002)
- George Moore – guitars (1999–2005)
- Mike Poggione – bass guitar, vocals (2008–2010)
- Sean Robbins – bass guitar (1999–2008)
- Joe Santangelo - guitars (2009)
- Erik Tisinger - bass guitar (2009)
- Studio albums
- Revelations of the Unsung (2004)
- Embrace the Gutter (2006)
- Fear Will Cast No Shadow (2007)
- Requiem (2009)
- The Autumn Offering (2010)
|2004||"Revelation"||Revelations of the Unsung|
|2006||"Embrace the Gutter"||Dale Resteghini||Embrace the Gutter|
|2007||"From Atrophy to Obsession"||Noah Shulman||Fear Will Cast No Shadow|
|2008||"Silence and Goodbye"||Noah Shulman||Fear Will Cast No Shadow|
|2009||"The Curtain Hits the Cast"||Requiem|
|2010||"Born Dead"||Eric Richter||The Autumn Offering|
- Apar, Corey. "The Autumn Offering – Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Heisel, Scott (December 8, 2003). "Stillborn signs The Autumn Offering". Punknews.org. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Paul, Aubin (September 28, 2005). "Victory Signs The Sleeping and The Autumn Offering". Punknews.org. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "THE AUTUMN OFFERING To Enter Studio In February". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. November 15, 2008. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering Completes Work On Requiem". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. March 19, 2009. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "Music video: "The Curtain Hits The Cast" by The Autumn Offering". Yahoo! Music. Yahoo!. 2009. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Wiederhorn, Jon (August 5, 2009). "Autumn Offering Vocalist Draws From Abusive Past For Requiem". Noisecreep. AOL Music. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Wiederhorn, Jon (August 3, 2009). "The Autumn Offering's Matt McChesney Overcame a Stopped Heart, Prison Time". Noisecreep. AOL Music. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering – Requiem". Billboard. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering Parts Ways With Guitarist". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. June 21, 2010. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering: New Album Details Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. June 23, 2010. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- The Autumn Offering Announces Plans To Go On Hiatus/ The Autumn Offering Announces Plans To Go On Hiatus Metal Underground
- "Music video: "Revelation" by The Autumn Offering". Yahoo! Music. Yahoo!. 2006. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering – Music Videos – "Embrace the Gutter"". MTV. August 30, 2006. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering – Music Videos – "From Atrophy to Obsession"". MTV. November 19, 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering – Music Videos – "Silence and Goodbye"". MTV. April 3, 2008. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Autumn Offering: New Song Available For Streaming". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. July 20, 2010. Retrieved July 20, 2010.