The Axis of Perdition
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Axis of Perdition|
|Genres||Black metal, industrial, industrial metal|
Rage of Achilles
|Associated acts||Mine(thorn), Phaleg, Hesper Payne , Auriolis, Pulsefear, Irradiant, cauldhaume, My Dying Bride, Bal-Sagoth|
The band rose from the ashes of Minethorn and consisted of Tetsuo Unit BRJ (a.k.a. Brooke Johnson, vocals, guitars, bass and programming) and Test Subject MGB (a.k.a. Michael Blenkarn, guitars, keyboards and programming).
The Axis of Perdition's output comprises black metal experimentation with industrial music and dark ambient textures. The Axis of Perdition's debut album stated that "Axis of Perdition plays something there isn't words for yet (exclusively)".
Their sound is primarily based on distorted guitars with black metal vocals, programmed drums, and discordant sound effects including screams and static. The black metal aspects of the music are digitally distorted, interspersed with atmospheric soundscapes formed by synthesizers and field recordings. The Axis of Perdition's tracks tend to feature shifting free-form arrangements that lack a typical verse-chorus structure and tend toward lengthiness (one such track, from Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital, is over twelve minutes long).
Tapping inspiration from H. P. Lovecraft, Ramsey Campbell and the Silent Hill games (their EP Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xuchilbara is named for the dark deity of the games) as well themes of urban decay and mental illness, The Axis of Perdition are often compared to groups like Anaal Nathrakh and Blut Aus Nord for their similar grim, urban industrial metal aesthetics.
In 2013, the group separated due to a mutual agreement between Blenkarn and Johnson, but it is unknown whether this is either a permanent or temporary.
- Brooke Johnson – Vocals, Jazz Guitar, Ambience. (also member of the bands Mine(thorn), Halo of the Sun, Pulsefear, Hesper Payne, Nord, Irradiant and Monument)
- Michael Blenkarn – Lead & Rhythm Guitar, Keyboard & Piano, Programming, Ambience. (also member of the bands Wodensthrone and Phaleg)
- Ian Fenwick – Bass Guitar. (also member of the band Mine(thorn) and Hesper Payne)
- Dan Mullins – Live Drums & Percussion. (Also a member of The Raven Theory ex-Bal-Sagoth, and My Dying Bride, amongst others)
- Leslie Simpson – Flotsam. (also actor: Films: Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday and Stage: director/actor threeovereden
- Corridors (demo, 2002)
- The Ichneumon Method (And Less Welcome Techniques) (album, 2003)
- Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xuchilbara (The Red God) (EP, 2004)
- Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital (album, 2005)
- Urfe (album, 2008)
- Tenements (of the Anointed Flesh) (album, 2011)