The Baby (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ted Post|
|Produced by||Abe Polsky
|Written by||Abe Polsky|
|Music by||Gerald Fried|
|Cinematography||Michael D. Margulies|
|Edited by||Bob Crawford Sr.
|Distributed by||Scotia International|
The Baby is a 1973 American horror-thriller film, directed by Ted Post and was written by Abe Polsky. The film stars Anjanette Comer, Ruth Roman, Marianna Hill, Suzanne Zenor, and David Manzy. It tells the story of a social worker who investigates an eccentric family which includes "Baby", a 21-year-old man who acts like an infant. The film is considered a cult classic. 
Ann Gentry is a social worker wracked with guilt about having been the driver of a car involved in an accident that left her husband severely injured. She gets assigned to a new case: the eccentric and mysterious Wadsworth family, and quickly takes a special interest the family's youngest member—a seemingly mentally impaired adult man in his 20s who does not have a name and is called only "Baby."
Ann wants to work with Baby, who still acts and is treated like an infant by his mother and sisters, thinking that with the proper treatment he might begin to behave more appropriately for his age group. The Wadsworth clan has been neglectful and abusive to Baby, and while Mrs. Wadsworth has been extremely overprotective of him ever since his father left shortly after his birth, she will not let another caregiver interfere.
Eventually, Ann and her mother-in-law take Baby away from his family. His mother and sisters come after them, but Ann and her mother-in-law kill them. They stab the daughters and bury the mother alive under the pool they are building. It is soon revealed why she is so interested in Baby: so he can be a playmate for her husband, who was left with the mental capacity of an infant after his accident.
- Anjanette Comer as Ann Gentry
- Ruth Roman as Mrs. Wadsworth
- Marianna Hill as Germaine Wadsworth
- Suzanne Zenor as Alba Wadsworth
- Tod Andrews as Doctor
- Michael Pataki as Dennis
- Beatrice Manley Blau as Judith
- Erin O'Reilly
- Don Mallon
- Joseph Bernard
- Virginia Vincent
- David Mooney (credited as David Manzy) as Baby
The Baby was released on DVD with a new transfer from the original negative by Severin Films in 2011.
- "THE BABY (X)". British Board of Film Classification. 1973-01-16. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "EFM 2013: First Casting News for Adrian Garcia Bogliano's Late Phases - Dread Central". Dread Central. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Mad Mad Mad Mad Movies: The Baby (1973): or, You Oughta Wean Him, He's Old Enough". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "The Baby". AFI Catalog. American Film Institute. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "FilmFanatic.org". FilmFanatic.org. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Amazon.com: The Baby VHS