The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde
|"The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde"|
|Single by Georgie Fame|
|B-side||"Beware of the Dog"|
|Genre||Rhythm and blues|
|Label||CBS (CBS 3124)|
|Georgie Fame singles chronology|
"The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" is a song recorded by the British rhythm and blues singer Georgie Fame. Released as a single, the song reached number one in the UK Singles Chart on 24 January 1968, remaining for one week. The song reached number seven in the United States later the same year.
Fame recorded the song after seeing the then controversial gangster film Bonnie and Clyde, now considered a classic, starring Warren Beatty (as Clyde Barrow) and Faye Dunaway (as Bonnie Parker). The song, in the style of the 1920s and 1930s, features the sounds of gun battles, car chases, and police sirens, including the climactic gun battle that takes place when both Bonnie and Clyde meet their end. The instrumentation of the song includes a piano, banjo, drums, trumpets, trombones, and a bass. The piano introduction was picked up from Fats Domino's "Blue Monday".
- "Georgie Fame – The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde / Beware Of The Dog (Vinyl) at Discogs". discogs.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 113. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "Official Singles Chart UK Top 100". Theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 219.
- "Details for Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde - featuring Georgie Fame". The Sheetmusic Warehouse. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Philip French (2007-08-26). "Philip French: How violent taboos were blown away | Film | The Observer". Observer.guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Go-Set National Top 40, March 13, 1968
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Top 100 1968". top-source.info. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002
- CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending MONTH DD, 19YY at the Wayback Machine (archived 30 September 2012). Cash Box magazine. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Top 100 1968 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1968/Top 100 Songs of 1968". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Cash Box YE Pop Singles - 1968". Tropicalglen.com. 1968-12-28. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|