The Ballad of Lefty Brown
|The Ballad of Lefty Brown|
|Directed by||Jared Moshé|
|Written by||Jared Moshé|
|Music by||H. Scott Salinas|
|Edited by||Terel Gibson|
The Ballad of Lefty Brown is a 2017 American western written and directed by Jared Moshe, starring Bill Pullman as Lefty Brown, and featuring: Kathy Baker, Jim Caviezel, Peter Fonda, Tommy Flanagan, and Michael Spears.
- Bill Pullman as Lefty Brown
- Kathy Baker as Laura Johnson
- Jim Caviezel as Governor James Bierce
- Joe Anderson as Frank Baines
- Tommy Flanagan as Tom Harrah
- Peter Fonda as Edward Johnson
- Michael Spears as Biscuit
- Diego Josef as Jeremiah Perkins
The project was initiated in September 2016, at which time the casting of Bill Pullman, Jim Caviezel, Peter Fonda, Kathy Baker and Tommy Flanagan was announced. Writer and director Jared Moshe and producer Neda Armian considered other locations where they could film the movie. After scouting many different states in the West, they chose Montana to film the movie, because of the authenticity that would bring to the project. More than a hundred locals were used as extras.
Principal photography began on September 8, 2016 - filming took place at Bannack State Park in Bannack, Montana, 25 miles southwest of Dillon. Other locations included Dillon, Montana, Virginia City, Montana and Ennis, Montana. Filming lasted for 20 days.
The film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 11, 2017. Shortly after, A24 and DirecTV Cinema acquired distribution rights to the film. The film had a subsequent wide release on December 15, 2017. Sold-out screenings of the film, near its shoot location in Whitehall, Montana, raised over $10,000 toward historical preservation efforts by the Jefferson Valley Museum.
The Blu-Ray/DVD from Lionsgate features bonus content: “Designing the Look of ‘The Ballad of Lefty Brown" with Director Jared Moshe and Production Designer Eve McCarney discussing the creative process, color palettes and set choices for the film. “Bringing the Truth to Myth: Inside of the Characters of ‘The Ballad of Lefty Brown,’” interviews with Director Jared Moshe, and Actors Bill Pullman, Kathy Baker, Tommy Flanagan, Jim Caviezel. Also featured, audio commentary with Director Jared Moshe and Actor Bill Pullman.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 78% based on 23 reviews, and an average rating of 6.2/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 64 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Bill Pullman, Jim Caviezel Starring in Western ‘Ballad of Lefty Brown’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- ‘The Ballad Of Lefty Brown’ To Star Bill Pullman, Jim Caviezel And Peter Fonda
- "The Ballad of Lefty Brown". South by Southwest. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 8, 2017). "SXSW 2017 Lineup: 'Baby Driver', 'Free Fire', 'Muppet Guys Talking' & Docus That Matter In Trump Era". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (April 13, 2017). "'Ballad Of Lefty Brown': SXSW Darling With Bill Pullman To DirecTV Before Theatrical Via A24". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- "The Ballad of Lefty Brown". A24. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- email@example.com, SUSAN DUNLAP. "Sold out screening of 'Lefty Brown' raises $10,000 for Whitehall museum". Montana Standard. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "The Ballad of Lefty Brown (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "The Ballad of Lefty Brown Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 14, 2018.