Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Laís Bodanzky|
|Written by||Luiz Bolognesi|
|Music by||Eduardo Bid. Additional music : "C'est si bon" by Henri Betti (1947)|
|Edited by||Paulo Sacramento|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista International|
The Ballroom (Portuguese: Chega de Saudade) is a 2007 Brazilian-French romantic drama film directed by Laís Bodanzky. The action is set in a dance hall (gafieira) in São Paulo frequented by old people.
- Tonia Carrero as Alice
- Leonardo Villar as Álvaro
- Stepan Nercessian as Eudes
- Betty Faria as Elza
- Cassia Kiss as Marici
- Paulo Vilhena as Marquinhos
- Maria Flor as Bel
- Elza Soares as Ana
- Jorge Loredo
- Marly Marley as Liana
- Clarisse Abujamra
David Parkinson of The Guardian called it a "quirky ensemble piece", and praised it for being "superbly choreographed." Daily Express's Allan Hunter labeled it as "bittersweet" and gave a rating 3 out of 5, saying "If Robert Altman had ever made a film about an old-fashioned dance hall it might have looked something like The Ballroom." Writing for the Evening Standard, Derek Malcom commended it by affirming: "If the film does't always convince, it has some wonderful moments. Bodanzky’s sympathy with his characters is obvious — and the music is as much an attraction as the series of stories we are told about them." On the other hand, David Jenkins from Time Out gave a more negative review, stating "this wannabe-steamy film never manages to generate any dramatic heat because it spreads itself far too thinly across its oversized and mundane cast."
- "Filmes Brasileiros Lançados - 1995 a 2012" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Ancine. p. 19. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-03-01. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Cajueiro, Marcelo (May 15, 2008). "Brazilian helmers on the horizon". Variety. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Parkinson, David. "The top 10 films of 2009 you probably won't have seen". The Guardian. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Hunter, Allan (July 2, 2010). "The Ballroom: Film review". Daily Express. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Malcom, Derek (July 2, 2010). "The Ballroom has some wonderful moments". Evening Standard. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Jenkins, David (June 29, 2010). "The Ballroom". Time Out. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
|This article related to a Brazilian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|