|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
The January 2011 front cover of The Banker
|Type||Monthly trade magazine|
|Owner(s)||Financial Times (Pearson)|
|Headquarters||1 Southwark Bridge
The Banker is an English-language monthly international financial affairs publication owned by The Financial Times Ltd. and edited in London. The magazine was first published in January 1926 through founding Editor, Brendan Bracken of the Financial News, who went on to become the chairman of the Financial Times from 1945-1958.
Since its founding, the magazine has claimed a dedication to the international perspective through features, interviews, multi-media applications and events. The Banker is the world’s premier banking and finance resource, read in over 180 countries and is the key source of data and analysis for the industry. It combines in-depth regional and country coverage with reports on global financial markets, regulation and policy, cash management and securities services, commodities and carbon finance, infrastructure and project finance, trading and technology, clearing and settlement, and management and governance issues.
The Banker is read most widely in banks, financial institutions, multilateral corporations, central banks and finance ministries around the world. Approximately 60% of its readers are CEO/President and CFO/Treasurers of their organizations.
Features and awards
The Banker's primary focus is global financial comment and insight, featuring opinion pieces, profiles and interviews with leading banking and finance figures. The Bracken Column  is named after Brendan Bracken, the founding editor of The Banker and serves as a think-tank for financial sector participants.
The Bank of the Year Awards is an annual awards event recognising the top financial institutions in the world. The most recent event took place in December 2012 and 149 countries were acknowledged for their achievements, with Scotiabank winning the global award.
Top 1000 World Banks is published annually in July based on the findings of The Banker Database. This ranking serves to recognise global leaders in the industry for their achievements, ranking the world's banks by Tier 1 capital globally, as well as by individual country. The awards are the industry’s most widely used index of global banking, and are internationally recognised as the definitive guide to the soundness, strength and profitability of banks. The banks are assessed by Tier 1 capital, with secondary rankings by assets, capital/asset ratio, real profit growth, profit on average capital, and return on assets. In 2013 ICBC was ranked in top place, the first time ever for a Chinese bank and retained the top position in the 2014 ranking.
As well as The Bank of the Year Awards, the Banker also conducts awards for Deals of the Year, Innovation in Banking Technology, Investment Banking, Finance Minister of the Year, Central Bank Governor of the Year, Private Banking and Islamic Bank of the Year.
How to Run a Bank is an annual guide to international banking in the new financial environment, combining contributions from bankers, regulators, academics and economists.
Top Islamic Financial Institutions annual listing assesses the global state of the Islamic banking and finance market today. Since 2007, it has aimed to help estimate the size and growth-rate of the emerging Islamic financial marketplace.
On 8 January 2014, it was announced that Ireland's Michael Noonan was awarded "Best finance minister in Europe".
Top 1000 World Banks
The table below shows the top bank ranked by Tier 1 capital since 2000:
|2014||Industrial and Commercial Bank of China||China|
|2013||Industrial and Commercial Bank of China||China|
|2012||Bank of America||United States|
|2011||Bank of America||United States|
|2010||Bank of America||United States|
|2009||JPMorgan Chase||United States|
|2007||Bank of America||United States|
The current editors of The Banker are:
- Brian Caplen (Editor)
- Stephen Timewell (Editor Emeritus)
- Philip Alexander (Senior Editor)
- Silvia Pavoni (Eeconomics Editor)
- Jane Cooper (Technology and Transaction banking Editor)
- Paul Wallace (Africa editor & capital markets writer)
- Stefanie Linhardt (Europe Editor)
- James King (Middle East Editor)
- Guillaume Hingel (Research Editor)
- The Banker Print Media Pack 2012.pdf
- "The Banker History: Window on the World". The Banker. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- About Us The Banker
- Media Pack The Banker
- "The Bracken Column". Thebanker.com. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "The Bank of the Year Awards". The Banker. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Bank of the Year Awards 2012". The Banker. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Scotiabank named Global Bank of the Year". Scotiabank. 1 December 2012.
- "Top 1000 World Banks". The Banker. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "The Banker Database". The Banker Database. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Media Pack The Banker
- "The Top 1000 World Banks 2013". The Banker. 1 July 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "China's ICC tops global bank rankings for first time". Reuters. 1 July 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Top 1000 World Banks 2014: Back on track?". The Banker. 30 June 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "The Banker awards". The Banker. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "How to Run a Bank". The Banker. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Top Islamic Institutions". The Banker. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Top 1000 World Banks". The Banker.
- "The Banker Top 1000 World Banks 2014 rankings - UK Press release: For immediate release". The Banker.
- "Bank Rankings".
- TheBanker.com homepage of The Banker
- The Banker Database The Banker's in-house source of current and historical financial data on the leading banks in every country, containing contact information and the latest annual results, with an archive of up to 25 years.