The Banker (2019 film)
|Directed by||George Nolfi|
|Music by||H. Scott Salinas|
|Cinematography||Charlotte Bruus Christensen|
|Edited by||Joel Viertel|
It will have its world premiere at AFI Fest on November 21, 2019. The film is scheduled to be released in a limited release on December 6, 2019, followed by digital streaming on January 31, 2020, by AppleTV+.
The Banker is the true story of two African American entrepreneurs, Bernard Garrett (Mackie) and Joe Morris (Jackson), who during the 1950’s tried to circumvent the racial limitations of the era and take on the establishment by recruiting a working class white man, Matt Steiner (Hoult) and training him to pose as the head of their business empire while they posed as a janitor and a chauffeur. Nia Long plays Bernard's wife Eunice. Garrett and Morris become two of the wealthiest and most successful real estate owners in the country with Steiner as their front man, but their success brings about unforeseen risk of exposure that threatens everything.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Joe Morris
- Anthony Mackie as Bernard Garrett
- Nicholas Hoult as Matt Steiner
- Nia Long as Eunice Garrett
- Scott Daniel Johnson as Robert Florance, Jr.
- Taylor Black as Susie
- Michael Harney as Melvin Belli
- Colm Meaney as Patrick Barker
- Paul Ben-Victor as Donald Silverthorne
- Jessie Usher as Tony Jackson
- Gregory Alan Williams as Britton Garrett
- Rhoda Griffis as Mrs. Barker
- Travis West as Mrs. Cooper’s Son
- David Alexander as Mr. Miller
It was announced in October 2018 that Romulus Entertainment would finance the film with Brad Feinstein producing. George Nolfi would direct the film, which he co-wrote with Niceole Levy. Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Mackie, Nicholas Hoult, Nia Long and Taylor Black were set to star, with filming beginning in Atlanta. Additional casting was announced in November.
In July 2019, Apple TV+ acquired distribution rights to the film. It will have its world premiere at AFI Fest on November 21, 2019. It is scheduled to be released on December 6, 2019, in a limited release followed by digital streaming in January 2020. Bleecker Street will co-distribute the film.
- "The Banker". IFC Center. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (October 9, 2018). "Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Mackie, Nicholas Hoult & Nia Long Star In George Nolfi-Helmed 'The Banker'". Deadline. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda; Ramos, Dino-Day (October 17, 2018). "Adam Ray To Star In 'The Bellmen'; 'The Banker' Adds Taylor Black". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (November 7, 2018). "'The Banker': Michael Harney, Colm Meaney, Jessie T. Usher & Paul Ben-Victor Join Director George Nolfi's Drama". Deadline. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (July 16, 2019). "Apple Makes WW Deal For George Nolfi-Directed 'The Banker;' Anthony Mackie, Samuel L. Jackson, Nic Hoult Star In Socially Conscious Jim Crow-Era Drama". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Pederson, Erik (October 3, 2019). "AFI Fest Sets Apple's 'The Banker' World Premiere As Closing-Night Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- Apple Sets Theatrical Release Dates for Original Films ‘The Banker,’ ‘Hala’ and ‘The Elephant Queen’ (EXCLUSIVE)