The Bare Necessities
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
"The Bare Necessities" is a song, written by Terry Gilkyson, from the animated 1967 Disney film The Jungle Book, sung by Phil Harris as Baloo and Bruce Reitherman as Mowgli. Originally, it was written for an earlier draft of the movie that was never produced. The Sherman Brothers, who wrote the other songs of the film, kept this as the only song used from the previous version. A reprise of the song was sung by Sebastian Cabot as Bagheera and Phil Harris as Baloo at the end of the film. Van Dyke Parks worked on the arrangement, which was his first paid gig after moving to California. The song was also sung by Louis Armstrong. In 1967, "The Bare Necessities" was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song. A hip-hop version of the song performed by Lou Rawls was used as the theme song for Jungle Cubs.
Baloo: Now look little britches all you have to do is Look for the bare necessities The simple bare necessities Forget about your worries and your strife I mean the bare necessities Old Mother Nature's recipes That brings the bare necessities of life Wherever I wander, wherever I roam You know I couldn't be fonder of my big home The bees are buzzin' in the tree To make some honey just for me When you look under the rocks and plants And take a glance at the fancy ants Then maybe try a few [Speech] Mowgli: Hey Baloo you eat ants. Baloo: Oh you better believe it little britches And you're going to love the way they tickle Hey baggy you hungry Bagheera: Mowgli look out. Ensemble: The bare necessities of life will come to you Baloo: They'll come to you! Ensemble: Look for the bare necessities The simple bare necessities Baloo: Forget about your worries and your strife Ensemble: I mean the bare necessities That's why a bear can rest at ease Baloo: With just the bare necessities of life
Baloo: Now when you pick a pawpaw Or a prickly pear Mowgli: Ow And when you prick a raw paw Next time beware Ensemble: Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw When you pick a pear Try to use the claw Baloo: But you don't need to use the claw When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw Have I given you a clue? [speech] Mowgli: Golly gee thanks Baloo Bagheera: Pawpaw ha of all the silly gibberish. Baloo: Come on baggy get with the beat. Ensemble: The bare necessities of life will come to you Baloo: They'll come to you! [Speech] Baloo: Hey Mowgli How 'about scratching'that old left shoulder while you're up there, Mowgli?
Now just a hair lower. There, right there. That's it. Ahh..
This is beautiful. That's very good. Kid, now we've got to get to a tree, this calls for some big scratch! Mowgli: Gee You're lots of fun, Baloo!
Baloo: Right on it
Yes! That's delicious! Oh, ooo! Just a little bit more-
Mmm. yes. ha-ha. ooo. Mm. Mmm. ha-ha. ooo. yes! Oh man, this is really living'. Baloo: So just try and relax,in my backyard Because if you act like that bee acts,You're workin too hard. And don't spend your time just lookin' around For something you want that can't be found When you find out you can live without it And go along not thinkin' about it I'll tell you somethin true
Ensemble: The bare necessities of life will come to you Baloo: They'll come to you! [Speech] Bagheera: Ahh. I give up. Well I hope his luck really holds out. Ensemble: The bare necessities of life will come to you. [Speech] Baloo: Hey Mowgli, how 'about you start singing with me? Ensemble: Look for the bare necessities, The simple bare necessities Baloo: Forget about your worries and your strife [Speech] Mowgli: Yeah, man! Ensemble: I mean the bare necessities, That's why a bear can rest at ease Baloo: With just the bare necessities of life Baloo: Yeah Ensemble: With just the bare necessities of life Mowgli: Yeah, man!
Baloo and Bagheera: Look for the bare necessities The simple bare necessities Forget about your worries and your strife I mean the bare necessities Old Mother Nature's recipes With just the bare necessities of life Baloo: Come on baggy were going home.
In other media
- In 1969, Alvin and the Chipmunks recorded this song for their album The Chipmunks Go to the Movies.
- In 1991, the song was covered by Harry Connick, Jr. for the Simply Mad About The Mouse an album and a TV Special.
- In 1991 The Bare Necessities Megamix, produced by Nigel Wright under the name of The UK Mixmasters reached number 14 in the UK Singles Chart.
- In 2005, Julie Andrews chose the song for her album "Julie Andrews Selects Her Favorite Disney Songs".
- Tituss Burgess performed the song for the BBC radio special "BBC Radio 2 Celebrates The Music of Disney".
- Bowling for Soup recorded this song for Disney's DisneyMania 3 Album.
- In the 1994 live-action Disney film The Jungle Book, Dr. Julius Plumford exclaims "The bare necessities of life!" in the ballroom scene.
- On the 5th episode of the 10th season of ABC's Dancing With The Stars, American footballer Chad Ochocinco and professional partner Cheryl Burke danced a quickstep to the song.
- Eliza Gilkyson, the daughter of the song's composer, Terry Gilkyson, performed the song on her live 2007 album, Your Town Tonight.
- Brian Wilson covered it on his album In the Key of Disney, which was released on October 25, 2011.
- From September 2011, the song has been used in adverts for supermarket chain Sainsbury's, promoting new slogan 'Live Well For Less'.
- Los Lobos covered this song in the album Los Lobos Goes Disney, released in 2009.
- The rap band That Handsome Devil covered this song and the entirety of The Jungle Book soundtrack on their free CD titled The Jungle Book
- The song is featured in the Disney 2013 stage musical directed by Mary Zimmerman and performed by Kevin Carolan as Baloo.
- On 13 June 2012, Hong Kong Disneyland opened Grizzly Gulch themed land, the gift stall in the land is called The Bear Necessities.
- In November 2013, The Overtones recorded this song as a mix with I Wanna Be Like You for their album Saturday Night at the Movies
- In Ooh, it's Captain Esther-sword, Esther and her Maths team watched the movie, then sang the song with Baloo the bear, Mowgli and Bagheera at the end of the movie. It appears on the movie soundtrack with Baloo singing the 2nd verse and bridge.
- Official UK Charts - UK Mixmasters
- "Largest themed area in expansion plan, Grizzly Gulch, debuts at Hong Kong Disneyland on July 14, 2012 Unique multidirectional terrain-style coaster provides unexpected runaway adventure". Hong Kong Disneyland. 13 June 2012.
|This 1960s song–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|