|Created by||David H. DePatie|
|Written by||Larry Rhine|
|Directed by||David Detiege|
|Voices of||Henry Corden|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Producer(s)||David H. DePatie|
Allan R. Potter
|Camera setup||Ray Lee|
John Burton, Jr.
|Running time||30 minutes (22 minutes minus commercials)|
|Production company(s)||DePatie-Freleng Enterprises|
|Original release||September 9, 1972– September 1, 1973|
The cartoon - inspired by the CBS sitcom All in the Family - featured an anthropomorphic dog family consisting of Arnie, a bus driver (voiced by Henry Corden) and his wife Agnes (voiced by Joan Gerber). They had two teenagers, Terry and Roger (voiced by Julie McWhirter and Steve Lewis respectively) and one younger child, Chester (voiced by Gene Andrusco).
The theme song's lyrics ended with the advice "Just remember Arnie Barkley's bark is worse than his bite." This meant that Arnie's grouchy, unsociable front concealed a softer heart which he rarely allowed to show. Doug Goodwin's theme song used part of "(Be It Ever So Humble) There's No Place Like Home".
The series was broadcast by NBC from September 9 to December 2, 1972. NBC continued to air reruns until September 1, 1973. Only 13 episodes were produced.
The series resurfaced in 2016, airing on the classic TV network Retro TV on Saturday mornings.
- Henry Corden - Arnie Barkley*
- Joan Gerber - Agnes Barkley
- Julie McWhirter - Terry Barkley
- Gene Andrusco - Chester Barkley
- Steve Lewis - Roger Barkley
- Michael Bell - *
- Bob Frank -
- Bob Holt -
- Don Messick -
- Frank Welker -
- Match Breaker / 9.Sep.1972
- Finders Weepers / 16.Sep.1972
- Lib And Let Lib / 23.Sep.1972
- Half-Pint Hero / 30.Sep.1972
- No Place for a Lady / 7.Oct.1972
- For the Love of Money / 14.Oct.1972
- Keeping Up with the Beagles / 21.Oct.1972
- Play No Favorites / 28.Oct.1972
- Law and Misorder / 4.Nov.1972
- The Great Disc Jockey / 11.Nov.1972
- Barkley Beware / 18.Nov.1972
- Arnie Come Clean / 25.Nov.1972
- The Talent Agency Caper / 2.Dec.1972
On October 20, 2015, Film Chest Media Group released The Barkleys and The Houndcats - 2 DVD Classic Animation Set on DVD in Region 1. This collection features all 13 episodes of the series on DVD for the very first time.
- Created for Television by David H. DePatie, Isadore "Friz" Freleng
- In Association With Joe Ruby, Ken Spears
- Writers: Larry Rhine, Woody Kling, Dennis Marks, David Evans
- Animation Director: David Detiege
- Storyboard Directors: Gerry Chiniquy, Art Leonardi, Cullen Houghtaling, Paul Sommer
- Layout Supervision and Design by Robert Taylor
- Layouts: Cullen Houghtaling, Owen Fitzgerald, Richard Ung, Frank M. Gonzales, Nino Carbe, Wes Herschensohn
- Animation: Don Williams, Manny Gould, Ken Muse, Norm McCabe, Warren Batchelder, Jim Davis, John Gibbs, Bob Richardson, Bob Matz, Bob Bransford, Reuben Timmins, Bob Bemiller
- Background Supervised by Richard H. Thomas, Mary O'Loughlin
- Film Editing Supervised by Lee Gunther
- Film Editors: Joe Siracusa, Allan R. Potter, Roger Donley, Rick Steward
- Title Design by Art Leonardi
- Music by Doug Goodwin
- Music Score Conducted by Eric Rogers
- Music Recording Engineer: Eric A. Tomlinson
- Executive in Charge of Production: Stan Paperny
- Production Supervision: Harry Love
- Camera: Ray Lee, Larry Hogan, John Burton Jr.
- Production Mixer: Steve Orr
- Sound by Producers' Sound Service, Inc.
- THIS PICTURE MADE UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF IATSE-IA AFFILIATED WITH A.F.L.-C.I.O.
- COPYRIGHT © MCMLXXII DePATIE-FRELENG ENTERPRISES, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- Associate Producers: Joe Ruby, Ken Spears
- Produced by David H. DePatie, Friz Freleng
- DFE FILMS
- A DePATIE-FRELENG PRODUCTION