The Barley Mow, Clifton Hampden
|The Barley Mow|
The Barley Mow in 2007
Location in Oxfordshire
|Architectural style||Cruck construction|
|Address||Clifton Hampden, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 3EH|
|Town or city||Clifton Hampden|
|Owner||Spirit Pub Company|
According to the Thames Pilot, The Barley Mow was described in Parker's notes (1911):
Its high overhanging roof is thatched, and its walls are half timbered. The casements admit just enough light to heighten the interior effect. The brick floored kitchen, or may be a parlour, is delightfully snug, and the walls are darkly panelled all round. This Hotel has been enlarged to meet modern requirements but the additional part is not shown as it spoils the effect.
If you stay the night on land at Clifton, you cannot do better than put up at the "Barley Mow." It is, without exception, I should say, the quaintest, most old-world inn up the river. It stands on the right of the bridge, quite away from the village. Its low-pitched gables and thatched roof and latticed windows give it quite a story-book appearance, while inside it is even still more once-upon-a-timeyfied.
- The Bull at Sonning, also mentioned in Three Men in a Boat
- Jerome, Jerome K. Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog). J. W. Arrowsmith, 1889.
- Richardson, Sir Albert Edward, and Hector Othon Corfiato. The Art of Architecture. Greenwood Press, 1972.
- Winn, Christopher. I Never Knew That About the River Thames. Ebury Press, 2010.
- "The Barley Mow, Clifton Hampden". Beer In The Evening. Retrieved August 6, 2011. External link in
- Sharp, David (1996). The Thames Path. Aurum Press. p. 72. ISBN 1-85410-406-3.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Penguin Books. p. 550. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
- "The Barley Mow, Clifton Hampden". Where Thames Smooth Waters Glide, UK. Retrieved August 6, 2011. External link in
- Historic England. "Details from image database (248680)". Images of England.
- "Thames Riverside Pubs". Barley Mow, Clifton Hampden. Thames Pilot. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Jerome, Jerome K. (1889). Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog). J. W. Arrowsmith. ISBN 0-7653-4161-1.
- Lovesey, Peter (2002). Swing, Swing Together. Chivers Press.
- for The Barley Mow, Clifton Hampden
- Official website
|This Oxfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pub-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|