The Barr Brothers
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|The Barr Brothers|
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Members||Brad Barr (guitar, vocals)
Andrew Barr (drums, percussion, vocals, keys)
Sarah Page (harp, vocals, percussion)
Andres Vial (keys, bass, vibes, percussion, vocals)
Andrew and Brad Barr began their music career in Boston, Massachusetts as part of the improv-based trio The Slip. At the conclusion of a show in Montreal in 2003 at Le Swimming a fire broke out in the sound booth, setting off fire alarms the moment the encore ended causing the whole bar to be evacuated. When everyone was forced out onto the street, Andrew met a native Montrealer after offering her his coat. That chance encounter led to a relationship which created a bond between the brothers and the city.
One year later, Andrew and Brad Barr relocated to Montreal and became neighbors with harpist Sarah Page. Along with Andres Vial, they formed The Barr Brothers. Their debut, self-titled LP was released on September 27, 2011 via Secret City Records. In anticipation of the album release, lead single "Beggar In The Morning" debuted on Paste Magazine. The band was invited to play Osheaga Festival 2011, and toured North America throughout the fall promoting their debut record.
On January 5, 2012, they performed "Beggar in the Morning" on the Late Show with David Letterman. On April 5, 2012, their song "Ooh, Belle" was played during the final montage of the fifth episode of Touch. On June 30, 2012, the Barr Brothers were the headlining artist on the main stage Scène TD de la place des Festivals at the Montreal Jazz Festival, performing for a crowd estimated at more than 30,000 listeners. In August 2014, they played at Pickathon, a music festival in Happy Valley, Oregon. Three years following their show on the main stage Scène TD de la place des Festivals at the Montreal Jazz Festival, on June 30, 2015, they headlined one of the Grand Évènement of the Montreal Jazz Festival.
- The Barr Brothers (2011) #63 CAN
- Sleeping Operator (2014)
- Alta Falls – EP (2015)
- "News". The Barr Brothers. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "News". secret city records. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Song Premiere: The Barr Brothers - "Beggar in the Morning" :: Featured Audio :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. 2011-08-17. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Osheaga 2011: The Barr Brothers | Montreal Gazette Blogs". Blogs.montrealgazette.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Shows". The Barr Brothers. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Jazz fest concert review: The Barr Brothers at Place des Festivals". MontrealGazette.com. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- Official website
- The Barr Brothers on Myspace
- The Barr Brothers on Facebook
- Koe Magazine: The Barr Brothers interview
- High resolution images of The Barr Brothers