The Battle of the Century
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Battle of the Century|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Clyde Bruckman|
|Produced by||Hal Roach|
|Written by||Hal Roach
|Music by||Leroy Shield|
|Edited by||Richard C. Currier|
|December 31, 1927|
10 min. (remained cut)
Hardy enrolls Laurel at a boxing competition. Laurel, however, is too weak, and unfortunately loses. Hardy then seeks advice from an insurer on how to easily earn a lot of money: Laurel has to have an injury, so that Hardy can then pocket the insurance money. Hardy places a banana peel on a sidewalk, bringing Laurel there. But a pastry chef stumbles on the peel, and gets angry with Hardy, throwing a pie in his face. Hardy responds to the provocation, and soon the entire city block is involved in an epic battle of pies.
- Though The Battle of the Century is an official Laurel and Hardy entry, the team had yet to take on their recognisable characters.
- A young Lou Costello can be seen in an early scene as a member of the audience at the prize-fight mentioned in the film's title.
- For many years, footage from the famous climactic pie fight was known to be the only extant material from the film until the opening reel (featuring a boxing match) was discovered in 1979 by Richard Feiner. However, the sequence involving Eugene Pallette is still lost, as is the very final gag where a cop gets a pie in his face and promptly chases Laurel and Hardy down the street.
- In June 2015, it was announced at the Mostly Lost film workshop in Culpeper, Virginia that the second reel of the film had been rediscovered as a 16mm print from the original negative.
- Stan Laurel - Canvasback Clump
- Oliver Hardy - Manager
- Noah Young - Thunderclap Callahan
- Eugene Pallette - Insurance agent
- Charlie Hall - Pie delivery man
- Sam Lufkin - Boxing referee
- Gene Morgan - Ring announcer
- Steve Murphy - Callahan's second
- George B. French - Dentist
- Dick Sutherland - Dental patient
- Anita Garvin - Woman who slips on pie
- Dick Gilbert - Sewer worker
- Wilson Benge - Pie victim with top hat
- Jack O'Brien - Shoeshine patron
- Ellinor Vanderveer - Lady in car
- Lyle Tayo - Woman at window
- Dorothy Coburn - Pie victim
- Al Hallett - Pie victim
- Lou Costello - Ringside spectator (extra)
- Jack Hill - Ringside spectator (extra)
- Ham Kinsey - Ringside spectator (extra)
- Ed Brandenburg - Warring pedestrian
- Bob O'Connor - Warring pedestrian
- Jack Adams
- Bert Roach
- Dorothea Wolbert
- Charley Young
- The Battle of the Century at silentera.com
- "Images - The Lost Films of Laurel and Hardy". Imagesjournal.com. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "Second reel of Laurel and Hardy’s The Battle of the Century recovered: that’s better than a pie in the face". Silent London. 15 June 2015. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- The Battle of the Century at the Internet Movie Database
- The Battle of the Century at SilentEra
- The Battle of the Century at AllMovie
- The Battle of the Century at Rotten Tomatoes