The Battle of the Sexes (1928 film)
- For Griffith's earlier version, see The Battle of the Sexes (1914 film).
|The Battle of the Sexes|
|Directed by||D. W. Griffith|
|Produced by||Joseph M. Schenck|
|Written by||Daniel Carson Goodman
Gerrit J. Lloyd
(adaptation & titles)
|Music by||Hugo Riesenfeld
|Edited by||James Smith|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
The Battle of the Sexes (1928) is a film directed by D. W. Griffith, starring Jean Hersholt, Phyllis Haver, Belle Bennett, Don Alvarado and Sally O'Neil, and released by United Artists. The film was a remake by Griffith of an earlier film he directed in 1914, which starred Lillian Gish. Both films are based on the short story "The Single Standard" by Daniel Carson Goodman; the story was adapted for this production by Gerrit J. Lloyd.
The film was released as both a silent film, and in a sound version using the Movietone sound-on-film system. In 2004, the film was released on DVD by Image Entertainment. The theme song of the motion picture, "Just a Sweetheart", by Dave Dryer, Josef Pasternack and Nathaniel Shilkret (recorded versions of which are available, for example, on a commercially issued Paul Whiteman CD) was omitted from the DVD.
Marie Skinner (Phyllis Haver) is a gold digger with her hooks out for devoted middle-aged family man J.C. Hudson (Jean Hersholt), a portly real estate tycoon, who falls for her when she contrives to meet him. When his wife (Belle Bennett) and grown children, Ruth (Sally O'Neil) and Billy (William Bakewell) discover him dancing with Marie at a nightclub, J.C. leaves home the next day. Ruth seeks out Marie to shoot her, but is interrupted by Marie's boyfriend, jazz hound Babe Winsor (Don Alvarado), who takes a shine to her. When Judson walks in on them he condemns her licentiousness, but is forced to face his double standard when he witnesses a violent argument between Marie and Babe. Full of contrition, J.C. returns to home and hearth and the bosom of his loving family.
- Jean Hersholt as William Judson, the Father
- Phyllis Haver as Marie Skinner
- Belle Bennett as Mrs. Judson, the Mother
- Sally O'Neil as Ruth Judson, the Daughter
- Don Alvarado as Babe Winsor
- William Bakewell as Billy Judson, the Son
- John Batten as A friend of the Judsons
- Allmovie Production credits
- Shilkret, Nathaniel, ed. Shell, Niel and Barbara Shilkret, Nathaniel Shilkret: Sixty Years in the Music Business, Scarecrow Press, Lanham, Maryland, 2005, pp. 227, 273 and 287. ISBN 0-8108-5128-8 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "shilkret1" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- firstname.lastname@example.org Plot summary (IMDB)
- Wollstein, Hans J. Plot synopsis (All Movie)
- TCM Synopsis Full synopsis
- The Battle of the Sexes at the Internet Movie Database
- The Battle of the Sexes at the TCM Movie Database
- The Battle of the Sexes at AllMovie
- The Battle of the Sexes (1928) at Silent Era
- review in the New York Times