The Bay (radio station)
|City of license||Lancaster|
|Broadcast area||North Lancashire and
|Frequency||96.9 MHz, 102.3 MHz
and 103.2 MHz
|First air date||1 March 1993|
|Audience share||11 % (September 2013, )|
The Bay is a British radio station owned by the CN Group broadcasting from the city of Lancaster to the region of North Lancashire and South Cumbria, in North West England. It derives its name from the sand banks of Morecambe Bay, above which the main 96.9 MHz transmitter is located. Other transmitters are located near the Lake District towns of Windermere (102.3) and Kendal (103.2), near the A684. Shows on The Bay include: The Bay Breakfast with Danny Matthews, Through your Workday with Cooky, The Bay Drive Time with Darren Milby, 70's Saturday with Derek Marks and The Bay Sport with Clive Lee.
The Bay serves around 292,000 people with the majority of the audience being in the district of the City of Lancaster (pop. 133,914), with the largest settlement being Barrow-in-Furness (pop. c. 60,000), Lancaster (45,952), Morecambe (c. 38,900) Kendal (pop. 27,521) see also the districts of South Lakeland and the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness.
On 17 June 2010, it was announced that the station had won the following "Arqiva commercial radio awards 2010"
- Station of the Year
- Local Sales Team of the Year
- Radio Authority Pocket Handbook. Radio Authority. June 2003. p. 33.
- "The Bay celebrates 20th Birthday live on air". RadioCentre website. RadioCentre. 4 March 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Radio Joint Audience Research
- "ARQIVA COMMERCIAL RADIO AWARDS 2010 WINNERS ANNOUNCED" (PDF). Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- The Bay official site
- History of radio in Lancashire
- Kendal transmitter
- Morecambe Bay transmitter
- Windermere transmittter